Author Topic: Grooming terror  (Read 1402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lesley3165

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Female
Grooming terror
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Does grooming ever get any easier. From day 1 with meg we have had to treat her whilst grooming her. I brush her nearly every day and every day is a battle! It is a two person job, one treating the other brushing. Will she ever allow me to groom her without trying to bite me? The only other time she is like this is when we dry her feet after a walk, again the only way is to treat her as she absolutely hates it. Interestingly she will let us hold her paws and rub her pads with our hands for short periods of time so I just don't understand these behaviour issues. >:(

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »
Do  you have a grooming table? If not then I would recommend you did. Best thing I ever bought.
As a pup Riley was the same, I had to treat every time I brushed, he didnt like it, then I got the table and from day 1 he was brilliant.
Even now at nearly 2 years old he is groomed every day for about 15 mins and doesnt require any treats, stands when asked to and he actually enjoys it.

It will get better , I remember him being like this as a pup, now when we come home after a walk he will gladly hold me each paw to be washed/wiped without any hassle.

Offline HelenS

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1316
  • Gender: Female
  • Cupar
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
Well you are not alone  :blink: Cupar is 3 and regular brushing is still a two man job , one brushing and the other treating. Funnily enough the groomer who he goes to every 6-7 weeks for a full groom and cut says he is as good as gold and couldn't believe we need to treat him to groom him. So I think the moral of this story is : HES PLAYING US UP  >:D

Offline lesley3165

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
Thank you so much jane57, we don't have a grooming table but I will look for one now. You have given me real hope, I was really worried that Meg was always going to be like this and it was really starting to get me down.

Offline JamiesGirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »
Well you are not alone  :blink: Cupar is 3 and regular brushing is still a two man job , one brushing and the other treating. Funnily enough the groomer who he goes to every 6-7 weeks for a full groom and cut says he is as good as gold and couldn't believe we need to treat him to groom him. So I think the moral of this story is : HES PLAYING US UP  >:D

if I'm still in 'owner' mode with jamie he plays up and won't let me do his ears or paws but the minuite i pop him on the table and say stand he's as good as gold :) although i have his previous owner to thank for that!  :D
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline lesley3165

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Oh dear, perhaps I replied too soon helens, we were the same with Meg's groomer the first time she went, she was as good as gold but she said when she went last time she played merry hell. Put it down to adolescence but beginning to wonder now  >:D

Offline lesley3165

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
Oh my word just looked at grooming tables, what on earth should I be buying? Do I need one with all the hanging leads (sorry if this all the wrong terminology, I'm a real novice) and what size do I need? Don't want to waste my money if she's still going to play me up but obviously don't want her to fall either

Offline JamiesGirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
Oh my word just looked at grooming tables, what on earth should I be buying? Do I need one with all the hanging leads (sorry if this all the wrong terminology, I'm a real novice) and what size do I need? Don't want to waste my money if she's still going to play me up but obviously don't want her to fall either

you can always use a dining table or something similar with a bath mat on it? i use a dining table with a non - slip shower mat on for jamie :) you'll only need the arm and with attachable leash if meg's a wriggler or is nosy and always wants to see what your doing - twisting round and getting in the way.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
Oh my word just looked at grooming tables, what on earth should I be buying? Do I need one with all the hanging leads (sorry if this all the wrong terminology, I'm a real novice) and what size do I need? Don't want to waste my money if she's still going to play me up but obviously don't want her to fall either

Lesley you dont even need to start with a grooming table , any table would be ok.  It immediately stops them from running away or trying to wriggle away. I found it had a calming affect on riley. Like I say he was exactly the same but now I put up thr table and beckon him over, he puts paw on my lap to try and climb up to get on  it.
Even try starting off on an ironing board while she is small enough.

Offline lesley3165

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Female
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think of that, thank you  :D

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1418
  • Gender: Female
    • Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
I tried using Henry's cage in the middle of the room and putting the covered tray from it on top, so it was like a table. It didn't really work though, and we've reverted to the tube of Primula (hubby holds it, I groom). We do it weekly. Sorry if that's not very reassuring!

Offline airyfairy76

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 777
  • Gender: Female
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
Top of the crate works quite well here!

Though I've got my beady eye on one of those nice grooming tables, with the bar across the top that you can attach a lead to.  Lottie gets just a little bit too interested in the scissors for my liking....

 :005: :005:

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »
I must admit (we dont have the crate anymore)  the table has made my life so much easier,
You can also put the noose around the head to keep still, or even better the waist loop so that riley cant sit which has been a godsend while brushing his backside and "curtains"  one of my best investments.
I dont even have to bribe him anymore, I say "stand" to which he does so I can do his backside area.

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Alfie used to be a horror to groom.  At 1 year old, I brush him just about everyday.  I can now do his head, ears, chest, back, and sides but still no luck with his tail or anywhere near his boy bits!

Offline julie1

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 744
  • Gender: Female
  • Julie & Kez
Re: Grooming terror
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
Oh my word just looked at grooming tables, what on earth should I be buying? Do I need one with all the hanging leads (sorry if this all the wrong terminology, I'm a real novice) and what size do I need? Don't want to waste my money if she's still going to play me up but obviously don't want her to fall either

I bought a cheap fold-up camping table & stuck a piece of ribbed rubber mat to it (both on-line).  I did also purchase a screw on "arm" but hardly ever used it.    It also gets better with age.
regards from Julie & Kez