Author Topic: Quartering  (Read 3097 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Quartering
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
 Hi, when you are teaching your young dog to quarter do you concentrate on the dog working a methodical pattern regardless of the cover infront of it,or do you let it use its nose and hunt out the interesting bits within range.

Gabby will do both but in mixed cover like woods and bracken or tuffty grass she likes to skip the boring bits and get to the good bits  :D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Quartering
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Field trial dogs are expected to quarter the ground they are on immediately in front of the handler and not skip the less interesting stuff and they get marked accordingly, dogs that are just worked and shot over tend to skip the boring bits especially on ground they know well, I would say try to get your pup to quarter the ground in front of you this helps train the pup to keep close in.

One of the problems I have is Teal knows where the rabbits are and will run between the likely bits of cover as she knows the ground so I have to keep on top of her with the whistle to stop her going out to far.

To be honest all of my dogs have ranged much to far and would be out of any field trial with in minutes but when you are a lone gun on ground that does not hold much game you need a dog that will not waste time hunting scentless areas.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Depends on what you're training it for. My pup's not interested in hunting sterile ground, and I don't make him. If there's scent he's much better and far more methodical. It's a bit of a cocker thing as well, I'm told. They're less likely to waste the energy on ground where there are few rewards (unlike many springere I've seen who will happily hunt a football field devoid of game with enormous enthusiasm and style).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Gemma will not waste her time on scentless ground, after all that is what the springers are for  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
Gemma will not waste her time on scentless ground, after all that is what the springers are for  ;)
:lol:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »
:lol:

:005:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »
Silly springers  :005: