Author Topic: Mollie started on raw  (Read 1188 times)

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
Mollie started on raw
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »
Well, I have started feeding Mollie raw as of last night.  She woofed ( :005: ) her first bowl of food.  No problems with her tummy overnight and so far. 

This morning (her 2nd bowl) was again eaten with great enthusiasm and she keeps going back to the empty bowl licking it!  She is also jumping up at the place where I was weighing her food sniffing madly.

I won't see any difference to her coat as her coat has always been lovely and very shiny, but I am hoping for (fingers crossed) that it will help or stop her ear infections which she suffers with such a lot.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Mollie started on raw
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
The change to raw transformed William's health. No more ear or lip fold infections and much better skin. The improvement was immediate :D

What are you feeding Mollie?

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
I've started off with Nutriment (chicken).  I've also been given a pack of turkey from a friend who feeds raw (Abbi) on here.  I'm hoping I'll have the success with Mollie's ears that you have had Elaine with William.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
I've started off with Nutriment (chicken).  I've also been given a pack of turkey from a friend who feeds raw (Abbi) on here.  I'm hoping I'll have the success with Mollie's ears that you have had Elaine with William.

I hope so too :D. I feed Natural Instinct or Nurturing By Nature or sometimes Wolftucker for about 50% of their meals and DIY raw for the remainder. William doesn't cope with as much bone as Louis (gets constipation) so Louis sometimes has more bone while William has less.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
I've got Paws Pantry near me, so am hoping to try that too.

Thanks for those - not heard of the Nurturing by nature one.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
They are organising a raw feeding seminar on the 26th April if you where interested. They might have some tickets left. I have a ticket to go.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
Well, so far 5 days in, she is loving her food.  Absolutely no problems with tummy or anything - although she is quite adaptable to food changes. 

She is jumping up sniffing and going back to the bowl to lick it clean again.  As I said earlier, my main wish is hoping to stop or help with her continual ear problems.  I am still giving her gravy bones for lunch and bedtime and I think I need to stop those for couple months and give natural foods in order to give it all a chance.  It could well be the gravy bones that causes her problems (I had previously fed grain free) or just that she suffers with ear problems anyway - I just don't know.  So with that in mind any ideas for natural snack that isn't going to cost the earth?   I can't give her anything like chicken feet/pizzle etc.  Cow/Pig ears I can cope with  :005:   

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
What about a carrot stick, most cockers enjoy them.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
What about a carrot stick, most cockers enjoy them.

She starts to eat carrot and then walks off leaving it scattered all over the floor!!  Perhaps perseverance will pay off!!  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
I buy various dried body parts :005: from Zooplus, including tripe sticks, lamb ears and rabbit ears. I buy cow ears sometimes but because they're quite big I cut them in half with my garden secateurs and they get half each. Neither William nor Louis can manage pig ears and tend to throw up afterwards. I think they're a bit too fatty or rich for them.

Buying them in bulk from Zooplus cuts the cost quite a bit compared to PAH and local pet shops, so perhaps you could buy small quantities locally first and then order a larger quantity from Zooplus once you know what she likes.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
I buy various dried body parts :005: from Zooplus, including tripe sticks, lamb ears and rabbit ears. I buy cow ears sometimes but because they're quite big I cut them in half with my garden secateurs and they get half each. Neither William nor Louis can manage pig ears and tend to throw up afterwards. I think they're a bit too fatty or rich for them.

Buying them in bulk from Zooplus cuts the cost quite a bit compared to PAH and local pet shops, so perhaps you could buy small quantities locally first and then order a larger quantity from Zooplus once you know what she likes.

Yes, I saw all the body parts  :020: :005:  :005:.   I can give her pig and cow ears ok - I'm wondering about the dried fish, but would the bones get caught in her throat?  I'd be better if they were 'headless' too!!  :005:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Teal favourite treat is dried sprats, don't worry about the bones
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
Teal favourite treat is dried sprats, don't worry about the bones

Thank you.

Just been looking at these... (Dried Ocean fish)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/natural_treats_fish

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
After looking on here, I went and found the Zooplus site - mainly to get Minstrel some lambs ears.... & got him an agility tunnel and chute as well  :o (I am thinking of doing fun agility at our dog club, so thought that would be a good start as the big one they have there may be a bit scary for him)  :luv:

apologies for going o/t  ph34r
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.