Author Topic: Looking at Andis two speed clippers but what blades do i need.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Re: Looking at Andis two speed clippers but what blades do i need.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
How do I trim the front of her legs so it leaves feathers at the back. Is there any website or videos that show how to groom well?? I have looked on line but they all vary. I only really want to clip her ears underneath and under her chin down to breastbone if I can.

Just leave them be, it'll grow that way naturally :)

You'll probably have to trim the fronts though & sides blending into the feather. Again I would use thinners there. You'll be a dab hand with them before long.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
tried her feet this evening, tricky is an understatement :005:. not knowing how much to take off, so worried i'll cut her skin. slow and steady, i'll do a bit each day. still need to get clippers for her ears and chest, now not sure which of the Andis to go for as it sounds like I'll use more thinning scissors to do the areas.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
tried her feet this evening, tricky is an understatement :005:. not knowing how much to take off, so worried i'll cut her skin. slow and steady, i'll do a bit each day. still need to get clippers for her ears and chest, now not sure which of the Andis to go for as it sounds like I'll use more thinning scissors to do the areas.

Aww it is entirely up to you how you groom her. One of the advantages of doing it yourself. My personal opinion is that thinners will take the head down more naturally if you are still stripping the body. The same with the legs really. You can strip the legs if you think she will let you. By all means clip the tops of ears & throat on a pet groom. These areas are more difficult to scissor. I use a 10 blade on pet grooms on both these areas. It very much depends on the look you want to how you want to groom her. It does sound like you want to keep as natural as possible, which is why I suggest the thinners where stripping is not possible in places. Practice deffo makes perfect here. Take it slowly an little and often as you say. You'll soon get the hang of it & have her just how you want.  :D

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

Aww it is entirely up to you how you groom her. One of the advantages of doing it yourself. My personal opinion is that thinners will take the head down more naturally if you are still stripping the body. The same with the legs really. You can strip the legs if you think she will let you. By all means clip the tops of ears & throat on a pet groom. These areas are more difficult to scissor. I use a 10 blade on pet grooms on both these areas. It very much depends on the look you want to how you want to groom her. It does sound like you want to keep as natural as possible, which is why I suggest the thinners where stripping is not possible in places. Practice deffo makes perfect here. Take it slowly an little and often as you say. You'll soon get the hang of it & have her just how you want.  :D
I love the look of yours but in an ideal world I do not want Tilly's skirt to be as long (she loves to find every muddy puddle going), and with two children and 2 1 hour jobs to do a day I find I run out of time to wash (not after every walk), blow dry after every walk.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
How do I trim the front of her legs so it leaves feathers at the back. Is there any website or videos that show how to groom well?? I have looked on line but they all vary. I only really want to clip her ears underneath and under her chin down to breastbone if I can.

Just leave them be, it'll grow that way naturally :)

You'll probably have to trim the fronts though & sides blending into the feather. Again I would use thinners there. You'll be a dab hand with them before long.  ;)

Just cos I'm nosey, do you trim the fronts (not fruits as auto correct keeps telling me lol)? I don't on Charlie he didn't need it, but I do blend the sides :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »
Ah I understand that completely butterflywings21. I have pets as well as show dogs and they all love a muddy puddle or two. Just my show dogs take more sorting out afterwoulds  ;)  :005: I have mine in a mixture of grooms and it is your choice as to how you choice to groom dependant on lifestyle etc, which is what I do with mine clipped pets or stripped for show. ;) The only reason I suggested thinners for you here is you seemed to be trying to keep the natural look with stripping the body etc. Plenty of pets are clipped for ease of care. Depends what look you are going for.  :D

Dipsydoodlenoodle I trim the throat and do a mixture of stripping and thinning the shoulders into the legs as I want his front angulation shown off. ;)

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. Wished you lived next door then I'd be bugging you to show me. :005: :005:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. Wished you lived next door then I'd be bugging you to show me. :005: :005:

:005: No problem you're more than welcome. I am always happy to help of I can. Lots of luck with it.  :D

Offline theshrew

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
I like to keep Missy short in the summer months if i buy a set of these will a .10 blade be ok for her body ?

If not what size would i need ?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
If you want it really, really short, then yes you can use a #10 blade on the body but for a more natural look, you might want to consider a #7F for the body and a #10 for up the throat, head, inside ears etc
Jane

Offline theshrew

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
Thanks Jayne  ;) these seem like a good option.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
I have the Andis 2 speeds and use a #7f on J's body.  His fur grows massively quickly but it's a quick job to keep it neat and tidy (I leave his ears, chest rug, leg and tummy feathers)  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
chest rug

Known as chesticles in our house :lol2:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »
Where will I find the best price for some of these ?

I clicked the links on the sticky but those websites look terrible not sure I trust buying of something like that

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
The companies on the grooming sticky are all of good repute and are well known within the dog world.

I'd rather a grooming company had knowledge, longevity and a good reputation rather than a slick website  ;)

It's up to you if you want to shop around, none of the companies listed are untrustworthy.
helen & jarvis x