Author Topic: Working Tests  (Read 2795 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Working Tests
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
 Does anyone do or has done a working test with their cocker and how did you get on.Would hopefully like to try one with Gabby soon  :lol2: so any info would be appreciated  :D

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Working Tests
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
We did one yesterday, as it happens. Erm, we didn't do overly well as 30 of the 50 points awarded are for hunting and Pip doesn't always put huge effort into hunting where scent is lacking. Yesterday was one of his erm 'non-hunting' days  :005:. His retrieves, though were fab (but they only count for 10 pts each). What are you wanting to know? Yesterday's test was (the usual) a) Hunt up, drop to shot, b) seen retrieve in front with distraction dummy thrown on return, and c) blind retrieve behind (approx 25yds). Repeated under 2 judges. Good luck with Gabby. Think next tests will be in autumn.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:21 AM »
 OK, Thanks,was that the London cocker spaniel only test ?

Just wondered what to expect and how good all the dogs and handlers are.Are all the dogs budding ftch,s :shades: or do you get a bit of a mixed bag like you do at dog agility,with some handlers and dogs having a bit of a nightmere ( like me  :lol2: :lol2:).If things go badly wrong do other competitors get a bit  of a cob on or is are they friendly events.

We were doing something like that in training on Sunday, hunting dogs up in pairs.Blind dropped behind us and call dogs in,trainer threw mark out in-front and we had to send dog out on blind and then out on mark and keep steady while other dog had its turn.

Gabbys not running out straight on blinds yet and not droping to shot so some way to go yet but its something to aspire too.

Did you have to do a water test?

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:46 AM »
Yes, it was London cocker  :blink:

The dog that won was 9 months!! Very very impressive. Owner/handler well known trialler and the standard generally very high (except my friend and I who had similar issues with the hunting  :005:). As it was all aged stake, there were open level dogs, as well as novice. But on a 'normal' test day there will usually be novice and open tests and in novice, younger less experienced dogs. There was no water test on Sunday. Sometimes they have them, sometimes not.

As for straight blinds, I'd not worry so long as you can handle her to the area. One of the judges suggested that they like to see that a dog takes direction and don't mark down for it. So in a way, a straight, direct send doesn't do you any favours. Plus, as said, only counts for 10/50. If she hunts well you're pretty much there.

Go ahead and enter one in autumn - they're good fun, nice day out and the judges are generally very helpful and supportive.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Hi, does anyone know of any spaniel working tests coming up anywere that I could enter with Gabby.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
UGS have one on 7th September (I think). Mid Sussex working spaniel club also has one in september sometime - entries close 10th if I remember rightly.