Author Topic: Hot Weather  (Read 1554 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Hot Weather
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Hi, with the very hot weather are you all still doing your usual walks with the dogs.I  have  just been taking them on short walks early and late or taking them swimming if I get the chance so they keep cool.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Hot Weather
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Minstrel has been spending more time in the garden, so he can come and go as he pleases. I have been taking him out much later than usual - he does not cope that well with the really hot weather
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MrsOmalley

• Donator
  • Bella and Millie born 01/10/2012
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
The girls have the run of the garden so come and go as they please.  Millie depends quite a lot of time indoors as we have tiled floors which are cool.  Bella is usually found in the garden in her shady place.  We haven't been doing do many walks because of the heat.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
Bonnie is really struggling in this heat. We are walking earlier and later on walks and not taking her ball out as much (at which she is disgusted  ;)). But I've even been considering having her checked over by the vet because she is exhausted on her walks and just flops down in any shadow she finds. Think it might be her colour as she is black but I'm a bit concerned as to whether it is normal to be honest.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Sweep doesn't like the hot weather either - she is black as well. we have only done a very short walk today.  Currently she is stretched out on the bed in front of the fan  :005:  she doesn't want to eat as much either.  Paddling pool topped up for cooling off in as well.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
But I've even been considering having her checked over by the vet because she is exhausted on her walks and just flops down in any shadow she finds. Think it might be her colour as she is black but I'm a bit concerned as to whether it is normal to be honest.

Kerry, that's Toby exactly.  I take him short walks (in the shade as much as possible) and every few minutes he flops down in long grass/shade panting.  One day last week it was over ten minutes before he got up again.  I know a black coat absorbs the heat but even his last walk at night leaves him panting. 

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

Kerry, that's Toby exactly.  I take him short walks (in the shade as much as possible) and every few minutes he flops down in long grass/shade panting.  One day last week it was over ten minutes before he got up again.  I know a black coat absorbs the heat but even his last walk at night leaves him panting.

Thanks Mel, that's put my mind at ease a bit to know that Toby is the same. It is just strange seeing hyper Bonnie so exhausted xxx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »

Thanks Mel, that's put my mind at ease a bit to know that Toby is the same. It is just strange seeing hyper Bonnie so exhausted xxx

I hate seeing him like it Kerry and if there were any other symptoms I'd have him at the vet pronto, so assuming for now he just can't tolerate heat very well.  xx

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
I wonder if cockers are less tolerant to heat than other dogs. My old cavalier, not the most energetic dog and always fighting his weight, was not really affected at all by the heat. Murphy, however, does seem to struggle far more and can be often found lying in the hall which is the coolest part of the house.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
I wonder if cockers are less tolerant to heat than other dogs. My old cavalier, not the most energetic dog and always fighting his weight, was not really affected at all by the heat. Murphy, however, does seem to struggle far more and can be often found lying in the hall which is the coolest part of the house.

Brodie adores it - she's sitting staring at me as I type as she wants to go back out  :005:. The only way it seems to really affect her is that she doesn't eat as much and is prone to skipping meals. Of course, I don't let her stay out too long, and am careful when I walk her etc. She has a thick woolly coat as well so must get quite hot.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Brodie has just scuppered my theory.....................that it is the dark colours that are the ones effected by the heat.  :005:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
we are down to one walk early morning. glad to read someone mention missing meals, as pepper has done that a few times and it is not like him.

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
I take Cleo out about 8am for a walk, preferably somewhere close to a stream so she can cool off.  But that's it in this weather, she gets exhausted enough running around the garden with the kids!  :blink:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
Mine were walked at 9am, only for 20 minutes or so, and they've been zonkoed ever since  ph34r they won't get another walk until much later today, when OH will probably have to drag them out!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline katie94

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
Rufus gets about an hour early in the mornings (back home before 7.15am) and in the evenings has a shorter walk. He's also not eating as much and has lost weight so is having plenty of frozen fish kongs to prevent more weightloss.