Author Topic: Red or golden?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Golden Blue

Red or golden?
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Hello,
I was just wondering why my Kennel Club certificate says Cleo is Golden but the Cocker Spaniel database says red?  The same goes for her mum? Any knowledge on the matter gratefully received!

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Red or golden?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
Gold isn't listed as an option on the cocker spaniel database. I had to put my dog down as lemon. Hope that helps.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
Gemma is listed as gold, but she is a red
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
Thanks, I wondered if that was the case :)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »
I am not an expert on genetics, but basically as I see it Red and Gold are essentially the same colour. just red is a slightly deeper version. I have a red boy that I bred and when he was born he was gold, but he darkened as he got older and became a definate red. While his sisters stayed gold, so I think it is simply a matter of the breeder putting down what they thought at the time and it can change. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Dimples

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
My boy was golden when he was born but now a definite red - although still has a gold crop of hair on head and his legs are golden but back most definitely red.

I am not an expert on genetics, but basically as I see it Red and Gold are essentially the same colour. just red is a slightly deeper version. I have a red boy that I bred and when he was born he was gold, but he darkened as he got older and became a definate red. While his sisters stayed gold, so I think it is simply a matter of the breeder putting down what they thought at the time and it can change. :)

Can I ask what made you decide to breed your boy and also was there any after effects i.e., changes in him?  My Robbie is 3.5years old and would love to continue his line of pedigree and would also hope to keep one of his puppies but a bit wary too.
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
Oh I have not used him at stud. I have two entire boys and neither have or are used at stud at present. He is one of my puppies from a previous litter out of one of my bitches. I show my dogs and would not take breeding lightly at all. I lost half this litter and I was up every two hrs day and night fighting for two of them of which only one survived. I have since not bred for 6 years even though I do still show. If I ever bred again it would only have to be for exactly the right reasons and to better the breed. Not to keep a pet alone and yes it can change a dogs temperament using him at stud. Plus he would need all the relevant health tests. I would suggest if this is what you want you look for a reputable and experienced breeder who does all the health tests required for our breed & has similar lines that you admire and buy a puppy from them rather than breeding yourself.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx