Author Topic: Need new puppy food -update  (Read 1655 times)

Offline dieselboy

Need new puppy food -update
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
We currently are feeding diesel on beta and even with the suggested amount he was putting on weight to quickly, after cutting it's by more than half but also including a light adult food( recomended by nurse) we have finally got his weight down and under controll.

We have decided as it is just about time to buy new food to change it. After some research, I am just a little confused. There are so many out there and we just aren't sure what to go for. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? We would rather have opinions from experience rather than reading information. We have looked at allaboutdogfood.com but just made us even more confused.

Please help, we are looking for a good quality, complete dry puppy food which we can then easily change in December to an adult food. It has to be tasty as this is also his treats for most of his training.

Charlene

Offline Abbie105

Re: Need new puppy food
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
Teddy has Lily's kitchen perfectly puppy which he loves. Limited stockists but tesco have just introduced 'Lily's' - same quality and grain free

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
Eden is a brilliant kibble, its suitable from weaning to old age so could switch now and stay on it right through.
High protein, no cereals, fillers, etc.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
Ours had fish4dogs puppy then adult food. I've never had a problem with it. I  have to buy in online but it is delivered quickly. We have the working dog variety now which is VAT free so a bit cheaper.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Started to explore changing Pearls food as she seemed hungry to the point of scavenging.  I've already moved her on to Vitalin as she cannot tolerate the high meat content foods  :dunno:  was on Skinners muesli - she looks great but was ravenous all the time  :-\

She's been for hydrotherapy this morning and the owner (who used to breed cockers - currently has wire haired dachshunds) recommended Happy Dog dried food or BARF.  There is a puppy Happy Dog kibble.  Her preference is to feed BARF.

Were on holiday soon but I'm thinking of going back onto BARF for Pearl as I've found 2 local suppliers for Natures Menu.

Pearl came home on Beta.  Whilst some foods are better than others with no cereal, or good quality meat content, little or no "ash" (we all want to feed the best to our fur babies) its very much what your dog can tolerate or do well on plus your budget that drives the decision.

Good luck!

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions.

Beta is ok but I don't think it is for him. With weight gain and the inconsistency of things we have decided it's just not quite right. We had been looking at lilys kitchen as it does get good reviews but it's just a little to expensive. Same reason for orijen. It just worked out over our budget once we take into account our monthly dog costs. We also thought of a raw food diet but my toddler likes to help feed him. I would be worried she ate it. Like all babies, touch then in the mouth it goes. I think we will try Eden. I had read about it before but didn't look at the price, thought it was going to be to expensive. It actually isn't and knowing I don't have to change to adult food also helps. We have found a pet shop who supply's it so he can get it when he is at work. We just couldn't settle on anything we could get at PAH either but we could on this. On price vs quality it looks promising but we will just have to see how he gets on

Charlene

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
Hi
Ernie came from breeder with beta puppy but we found his coat was dull and he was bit under weight . Changed him to puppy pro plan original as recommended by vet and he's now  in great condition with a lovely shiny coat . It's not hugely expensive and I can usually find it on offer somewhere on line or at pets at home to save few extra pennies . My mum feeds her 6 year old cocker on pro plan adult and is pleased with it too. My terrier is fed on " symply " dried food as she has sensitive skin and that suits her well.
Think its a case of finding a food that suits your puppy as what suits some doesn't necessarily suit others . ;)

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
You can order Eden via their website.  Be aware that if you order, say, 6kg, it might come in one bag, so you'd have to have a storage solution ready.

I alternate Fish 4dogs with Eden for Millie.  However she voted with her teeth last week! The two bags of food were stored where I thought she couldn't get to them, with Eden the newest in reserve at the bottom.  I thought the rearranging of her bed was very loud, when in fact it was her tearing the Eden bag open!  Fortunately I had still to give her breakfast that day and so it was slightly less than usual.
Poos with fish4dogs are smallish and firm; we're in the changeover phase now and haven't noticed any difference with substitution of some Eden.
Her coat looks fine and she's lost the hyperactivity that she first had on arrival with bags and bags of Bakers!

Hope you manage to find suitable food for Diesel.

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
We don't have any problems storing a large bag of food. It is locked away where he cannot get it. He would eat the lot if he could. That's all he ever thinks about.

I called the pet shop and they stock 3 varieties of Eden, fish, mixed and game in both kibble sizes but if for whatever reason we couldn't get it when we needed we will order online. I think he just likes to see what he can buy next for diesel. He likes spending money and using the excuse we need it etc. think he is off to get a bag today and see how we get on with it and hopefully diesel likes it, not that I think we will have any problems.

Charlene

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
Our two are on Orijen and Acana. Both high quality kibbles which we buy online from Zooplus.

Bob.

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
So diesel started the transition of food today, we went for Eden, and so far he didn't notice there was anything different however we bought small kibble and wow I didn't realise it was that small. Will just need to see how he will react to it as we increase the amount me mix. He did go wild when we brought the bag in, I have never seen him act quite like it.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
So diesel started the transition of food today, we went for Eden, and so far he didn't notice there was anything different however we bought small kibble and wow I didn't realise it was that small. Will just need to see how he will react to it as we increase the amount me mix. He did go wild when we brought the bag in, I have never seen him act quite like it.

Glad Diesel likes eden, maybe medium next time, most cocker owners use the medium, which I think that's even rather small so can't imagine how small "small" is.

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
I think they only had small in the bag size and flavour we wanted. It is tiny. Even smaller than Bata puppy kibble which I think is small. It will all get eaten just the same esp since we may be getting a new addition in a couple of weeks.

Charlene

Offline dieselboy

Re: Need new puppy food -update
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »
So we have just started new bag of eden, got the larger kibble, diesel still a Hoover with food but I must say what a difference, weight, coat and temperament. Both dogs thriving and very glad for the switch. Thanks for everyone's advice

Charlene, diesel and hunter