Author Topic: Beta Puppy  (Read 635 times)

Offline Sarge1978

Beta Puppy
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
My show type Cocker is 6 months old and has been fed on on Purina Beta Puppy since being weaned. We have never had any problems at all with her, she has a lovely soft coat, normal firm poops and gradual growth and weight gain. I'd say she was quite calm for a 6 month old cocker.

I've been reading a lot of reviews on various sites about feeding and I know this food doesn't rate very highly, what would people's opinions be about changing her to something different? My husband seems to think 'if it isn't broke don't try to fix it' and to be honest because she has done so well on it I'm wondering whether to just continue as we are?
 >:(

Offline dieselboy

Re: Beta Puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:30 AM »
We are in the process of changing from beta to Eden with our working cocker 9month however this is due to the face he was putting on so much weight and his poo was inconsistent. I probably would not have changed if he was doing well on it. Reviews are very mixed  and i wouldn't have read them if we didn't have a problem and had to change. He was up at 12.8 kg 4 weeks ago and thats was his weight going up on a strict diet while on beta. Poor boy is starving. Its funny tho because the chart in the vet office says a cocker can be between 13-15 kg. Told to get him to 11 while he is still filling out.
if your happy and she is doing great listen to your husband and just keep doing what your doing unless you feel the need to change.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
I have always found those charts in the vets confusing too - why put them on public display if the vets do not agree with the weights printed? a bit misleading me thinks.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
If your pup is doing well then I would leave things as they are. Its obviously not doing any harm.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable feeding something with such a high cereal content (it's the main ingredient) or where the meat source is unspecified. I would change if it were me. I'm sceptical of online reviews though. Bad ones could be from competitors and good ones could come from the company! There's no way of knowing. Just look at the ingredients and decide if you are happy with them. Normally I would look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk but the site seems to be down thismorning?

Offline Sarge1978

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's a hard one when even though I know beta hasn't done well in many of the tests Poppy seems to be doing well on it.  >:(

I've been looking at JWB junior lamb & rice as the one to swap to, soooo many foods  :huh:

Offline Miriam

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »
My wcs puppy Dizzy came with an enormous bag of Beta puppy which I was told he ate moistened.  Only he doesn't!  Since he doesn't seem to like Beta and since it isn't highly rated I am going to change his food and donate the big bag to our local animal rescue.  But if he was doing as well as Poppy I think I would stay with it, or only very gradually move over.

I'm quite shocked at how awful the reviews are for foods produced by the big pet food manufacturers but I have found the site recommended 'allaboutdogfood' helpful.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable feeding something with such a high cereal content (it's the main ingredient) or where the meat source is unspecified. I would change if it were me. I'm sceptical of online reviews though. Bad ones could be from competitors and good ones could come from the company! There's no way of knowing. Just look at the ingredients and decide if you are happy with them. Normally I would look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk but the site seems to be down thismorning?

Same, I agree.  Just looked at it on the above site (which is brilliant) and I would change to something grain free.  Cereal is the main content in this food and the 'meat' content isn't very high at all.

Offline Sarge1978

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
Thanks  :D I think I've narrowed it down to JWB junior or Arden Grange, they both seem to get decent reviews