Author Topic: Sable Cockers  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Sable Cockers
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
This is just a general query, I have seen a lot of adverts lately for 'rare sable' cocker pups, at usually very high prices, and just wondered is sable a colour that is recognised,  by the KC, is there any reason why pups of this colour or a variant of, should be more expensive than the recognised colours already out there?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: Sable Cockers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
I think Sable's are rarer than other colours hence the higher price tag!!

I don't know much about it but there was a thread going on a cocker site on FB this morning to say that the KC have now gone from saying that Sable is undesirable to now saying it is unacceptable!!!!!

I am not commenting either way as I don't know enough about it (both mine are solids) but it seems to be quite a controversial topic of conversation.

To me a cocker is a cocker and they are all gorgeous!
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Lettie 10, I'm inclined to agree with you that they are all lovely  :luv: I was just wondering if they are as rare as claimed and therefore justify the extra asked for.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Sable where not recognised and or undesirable to KC, I believe they where worried about the health of the dogs, could be a case of unhealthy dogs being breed for the unusual colour and so an increased level of health issues.

Unfortunately as with all colours and breeds there will always be people in it for the money, it's our job to do our research and choose a breeder who breeds for temperament and health etc and not £££.

I agree with lettie10 they are beautiful  :luv:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
Any breeder who charges extortionate prices for so-called "rare" sable puppies are really just in it for the money - sable is no longer rare and there are many litters being bred with sable pups (usually at the more commercial end of the spectrum) even though it is not a desirable colour under the amended breed standard. Other traditional colours like tricolour are far rarer in my opinion but you don't see breeders asking stupid prices for these other colours. I'm sure the current fad for sable will fizzle out eventually and only those truly interested in the colour will breed it (and they won't ask silly money for the puppies)
Jane

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »
Thanks Jane some of these folk really do try it on don't they.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
I have a blue roan sable and I paid the same amount for him as I did my other cockers (golden and choc&tan) and would not have been prepared or expecting to pay more
You are right though, I have seen breeders advertising them for silly money, which is ridiculous as Jane S says above.  I guess its a case of supply and demand and people wanting something they consider to be "rare" and breeders cashing in  :-\

Offline Nate

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »
As I have 3 sableroans, I don't have to mention I love this colour ;). Three years ago there was a breeder in Germany who asked 1500 euro for a sableroan. Needless to say I didn't buy a puppy there. Two years ago I found a breeder who asked a normal price for sableroan, so I got my first puppy in my favourite colour. Sables and sableroans are no longer rare and I am still wondering what the problem is with this colour. Why is it no longer desirable?
Can anyone explain this, give the real reason for the decision of the KC? :huh:

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »
I've read a little about this so will see if I can explain it!   Sable is not a colour, it's a pattern, and it's so overwhelmingly dominant that left unchecked once in KC pedigree lines, we would be in danger of wiping out all solids (reds, blacks and B&T's) in a few generations.  So it's been removed as a recognised pattern / colour as the KC feel it is detrimental to the breed.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
Years ago the chocolate cocker was "rare" unless it was a working cocker , now more and more so called show cockers have workers in their lineage as I believe that's how they introduced chocolate into show colours, my boy certainly has.   I wouldn't pay over the odds for a colour , but would rather have health tested parents
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy