Author Topic: Spiky burrs?  (Read 901 times)

Offline Billys mum

Spiky burrs?
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
Billy, who is 8 months, has for the second time come home from the park with spiky things in his fur. He has managed to get some out himself but one remains in his ear at the very bottom. He won't let me comb or cut it out, he tries to bite me. He had one about a month ago in his ear and he was very scared when I went near him, growling and snapping. I ended up taking him to the groomers and she got it out with the clippers but he was so scared that he weed on the floor and was growling at her. She had to muzzle him in the end. Poor boy. He is now trying to reach round to get it out himself which he might manage as it is at the very end of his very long ears. If he doesn't then I don't know what to do. Do I buy a muzzle as this is no doubt going to happen again. Has anyone else come across these spiky things?

Offline lesley3165

Re: Spiky burrs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
Can one person distract him with treats while the other combs his ears? This is the only way we can do Meg's ears  >:D

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Yes Cleo gets covered in them, they are horrid >:D! Luckily she lets me remove them - I usually find you can tease the fur from around them without having to cut the fur.  Like Lesley, when she is really covered my daughter holds something tasty in her hand and I get to work whilst Cleo's trying to get the food. Cleo used to hate being groomed but she's a lot better now, I've found one brush that she really likes!  She's just over 18 months now so keep persevering and hopefully Billy will come to enjoy it eventually :blink:

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
Both my dogs were covered in them. . Some were an inch across and I only noticed on my poodle cross because he is lab yellow!!!. . And we also had an incident where something got into his foot and we ended up with a buster collar and antibiotics!!! . . After searching through my blue roan cockers fur I found several in there too!!luckily they both didn't mind them being teased out but it took some time so now I check after every walk but once they get in it can be a bit of a b***er to get them out😡

Offline katie94

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
Horrid things, agree with what has been suggested - something very tasty and high value, then tease out with your fingers. Perhaps a snood could be used on walks where you think he will pick them up? My fully coated show boy always gets them in his leg feathers.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
My OH refers to them as sticky bobs, I hate it when he walks him - Ollie comes home covered in the things however, he diligently pulls the majority out himself then lets me finish off :D
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Billys mum

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »
Thankfully he got them all out himself thus time. Did try the treat thing but he was having none if it!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
My OH refers to them as sticky bobs, I hate it when he walks him - Ollie comes home covered in the things however, he diligently pulls the majority out himself then lets me finish off :D

Don't know about sticky bobs, the ones Bea gets look more like baby Hedgehogs  :005: