Author Topic: Do I have to change his food?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Gillsy64

Do I have to change his food?
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
Oscar is 11 weeks old and came to us from breeder on james wellbeloved but he has never had a solid poo( and he always seems to go twice ,the second one very thin). He has been on Royal Canin Sensivity from vets for past week but that hasn't settled him. He has been wormed and I handed a sample in to vet to look for Salmonella, Campylobacter ,giardia etc but results won't be back until middle of next week. There was blood and mucous in his poos when we got him originally but there is none now. So if they all come back negative do I switch to a grain free food or one for sensitive stomach? I always said, after Jarvis, if I got another dog I would seriously consider the raw food route but find it all a bit daunting :-\

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Do I have to change his food?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
I would hold off on changing his food until you get the results back, his problems may be down to one of the issues the vet is testing for and can be treated for.

Have you looked at http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk  It can be very daunting looking through so many brands but I found this site very helpful.

Bea's vet wanted her changed to James Welbeloved but she did not like it, she was on skinners from her breeder and I changed her from that to raw in April,

I feed Natural Instincts (raw) as it is a complete food and there are many other good brands of complete raw out there.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
and they can sometimes be down to a change in environment

I would also split his food more and may be give more meals for the amount you feed per day - I did this with kittens that were like this when they arrived and gave them tiny meals and that seemed to help
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Margaretk

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »
Hiya, our pup Alfie is 20 weeks now, we also had him on James Wellbeloved, and to be honest his poos were a bit soft and he passed wind like a trooper :005:  so I did some research and he is now on Simpson 80/20 puppy, took about 10 days to transfer over, and since then, he doesn't pass wind, and if he does its very rarely and it's not stinky, and his poos are nice and solid, only doing either 2 or sometimes 3 per day, so far so good, the only thing I'd say is that the actual dog food is smelly and very dark in colour, but he loves it.  He gets 3 meals a day and sometimes I add cooked chicken or mince and veggies, but not always...Good luck M and Alfie

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »
All Oscars tests came back negative today so that's good. The vet recommends that he stays on a bland diet of chicken and rice for the next week or so  plus the canikur pro paste  and hopefully this will result in his poos firming up!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
All Oscars tests came back negative today so that's good. The vet recommends that he stays on a bland diet of chicken and rice for the next week or so  plus the canikur pro paste  and hopefully this will result in his poos firming up!

Something else you could try as a change from chicken is boiled/steamed white fish....or scrambled egg (only made with egg - no butter or milk added)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
Took Oscar back to vets on 29th September because his poos had lots of mucous in them and he was given antibiotics and put on RC gastrointestinal food. This seems to have done the job in firming him up, however I have been slowly introducing  his James Wellbeloved kibble back into his diet Starting with 5g for 2 days ,doubling it  up every couple of days to today when he is getting 30g. But his poo first thing was soft and just now it was full of mucous. I don't know what to do next, vet seems to think he is too young for food intolerance's, but something isn't right. :dunno:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Archie was on JWB when he first came home and his poos were never firm. I have read on here that some other dogs had similar problems. It's a good food but it just doesn't seem to suit some dogs. I changed and never had a problem again. Archie was a fusspot and refused all kibble and is now wet fed so I can't advise on a different kibble to try I'm afraid.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Sounds like it's the JWB, I've also heard it can have this effect.

Have you looked at http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk ?

I think we have all used it at some point.

Hope Oscar is better soon.