Author Topic: So just how different are cockers from other dogs?  (Read 950 times)

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
So just how different are cockers from other dogs?
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
It's been very interesting looking through all the comments on this forum. The question I pose to myself and you is this-are we just fooling ourselves or are there really cocker personality characteristics?
For my part I have found Penny to be completely different in her reactions to any other dog I've lived with. She is like a small child -wilful, desperate to be part of everything that's happening, cuddly, completely self assured about her place in the family. But then the only other dogs I've had were Pyrenean mountain dogs, who were reserved, majestic, and completely uninterested in playing or small talk.

Am I fooling myself or do cockers have a distinct personality?

Offline Murphys Law

Re: So just how different are cockers from other dogs?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
I am very interested in this too.

Being a inexperienced dog owner (my only other dog was a Cavalier and he was quite possibly the easiest dog in the world to live with) I would love to see what people who have owned many different breeds have to say.

If you read some of the issues people have with their cockers on here, especially the puppy boards, it doesn't really make good reading for the breed. Murphy himself could have quite easily gone back to the breeder in the first few months. He wasn't enjoyable to be around at times. He has now turned into a fantastic dog, full of personality (that's a polite way of putting it :005:) who makes us laugh on a daily basis.

If there were web sites for other breeds, and I am sure there must be, would they be full of the same problems, funny stories etc that this one is?

Offline assumpta

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »
I myself have only owned one other dog which was a Springer and thought this time round we would get a smaller dog but wanted to keep to  spaniels. Well.........I totally agree with cockers having their distinct personality. Cotto is very loving and very much wants to be part of the family at ALL times. Can be quite stubborn and wilful and any training was always food reward based or he just wasnt interested. He was way, way more bitey as well and time outs were a must. But what a great family dog, brillant with kids and adults alike and always wants to please....really pleased we got our little ginger ninja :luv:

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
I really identify with the description of a cocker as bites. But she is such good company. Merry is a good description of Penny. She also has distinct rules the household must observe.  She has definite rules on where she wants to walk. And she greets visitors if they come in the front door, but goes ballistic if they enter through the side door!

Do all dogs do this?

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
All dogs are individuals and have their own personalities. Pyreneans are herd protectors. You are their herd and they will protect you (including from wolves and bears and to the last breath in their bodies). But any good body guard knows not to get too close to the the subject and so we don't get the same chance to really get to know them. Spaniels on the other hand are a hunting/retrieving dog and so they are pre-programmed to look to us for a lead and to want to do things with us. They want to be part of the team and for the team to be busy. I think that this much closer interaction develops the dog's personality and gives us the chance to see more of it. Add to that an inbred wicked sense of humour and borderline ADHD and you have a cocker! God bless them each and every one!

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
As a child I had a lab and a whippet, and a terrier x  as a grown up ive had a boxer and a Doberman , then I got a cocker  :luv: :luv: , ive found them much more demanding than any other breed ive had but they give the same back , I had Kizzy and Bruno R.I.P  :luv: :luv: and got Ella whos now 8 and have Bailey 4 and Milo 3 . I have found that they have similar "cute" traits but at the same time having huge individual personalities , as for the bitey bits they are called cockerdiles as puppies  :005: :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
We have four dogs: basset fauve, Irish setter x harrier, a griffon and, of course, a cocker.  We often joke that the other three are dogs and the cocker is a small child.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
I think all breeds have their own personalities (why not, since they were bred for specific traits) and indeed all species have their own personalities.  Many years ago we had a pet goat who had as much personality as any cocker, maybe more  :luv:  Within a breed, every dog has its own personality too.  Cats have amazingly individualistic personalities

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Over the years we've had four labradors and a cairn terrier before we converted to cockers  :luv:

Hard work to start off with but the rewards are simply massive. The interaction between our two cockers is amazing and they keep us fit, entertained and amused as well as being the most loveable breed we've ever come across. Just wish we'd discovered cockers much earlier in our lives.

Bob.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
Growing up my parents always went for collie crosses, and they were certainly nothing like cockers.
As my mum says 'you know you've got a cocker in the house'  ph34r

Her dogs including Molly their current dog have been loving and wonderful family dogs, but just not as in your face as the average cocker  :005: they like the attention and fuss, then disappear and lie down somewhere, whereas cockers seem permanently attached to you and they just want to be in on everything. I wouldn't have another breed now  :luv:

Offline ruby n millies mum

• ruby and millies mum
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
my family have a saying when ever we get a new addition " treat it like a dog"!!!
needless to say we never do ,they all end up treated like babies , over the years we have had all sorts Border Collie, Mongrels, a German Munsterlander and a Westie , ... Cockers just know how to use their big eyes  :luv: