Author Topic: Play fighting getting out of hand  (Read 458 times)

Offline dieselboy

Play fighting getting out of hand
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:05:02 AM »
Hunter, 13 weeks and diesel, 10 month play fight all the time. Both pups very different ages. It was fine to start but the last few days they have become much more aggressive towards each other. Wether it's a ball or hunter trying to hump diesels face something will set them off. It makes me believe it is play as they will stop if I enter the room or they will stop for while on there own will.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I did read a while back they it may be leading to a massive fight for dominance but don't know wether to believe that. Diesel has been neutered, hunter fully intact. Both very different dogs. Not aggressive in any way to anything else other than each other, I can walk them together but diesel is always on lead, hunter will depend where we are.

Did also wonder if it will settle once hunter has the snip?

Any advice would be welcome

Offline rubybella

Re: Play fighting getting out of hand
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »
Hi - sounds like you have your hands full there!!

You say very different ages but they are both still puppies! Your eldest is entering his teenage years and your youngest is about human equivalent of a toddler, what a combination !!

It sounds like they are playing but you will need to ensure that it doesn't get out of hand. You need to decide when enough is enough and make it clear to them. I suspect because they are both still young that you may have to put them in separate rooms/crates. When you have an older dog and a puppy the older dog often puts the younger one in its place and tells them when to stop, but you won't have that because your 'older' dog is still a puppy itself!

I don't envy you at all ;)

Chloe

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
That's what I meant,  Different in terms of puppy age. They are crated in the same room but separate crates. It worked best for the dogs at night. Little one seems to be the more dominant in terms of the rough play but I have noticed he has been trying to hump the older one pretty much all the time so I really have to take that into account I suppose. Didn't notice how often it was until earlier today. They stop when I get near them and give me that look so they know its wrong, just trying my patience.

Having the two pups at different ages isn't as bad as it seems. I have a toddler and pre-teen girls at home so the 2 dogs are a walk in the park most of the time! Dogs tend to listen more and are quieter even when they are at it

Charlene

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
I have two litter sisters so obviously the same age but sometimes when they were young, their playing did get out of hand  >:(  When it did, I used to put each girl on the lead and tie them to separate areas of the room until they were calm.  It may sound strange but it did work  :D   They seemed to just accept that play time was over and settled down to sleep  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart