Author Topic: To buy coats or not?  (Read 890 times)

Offline dieselboy

To buy coats or not?
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
So winter is coming in and as its scotland, weather is very unpredictable! Trying to decide wether or not to buy coats for the dogs. He is thinking maybe just to leave it but tbh its me who deals with the dogs, and I don't want them to be constantly cold and wet over the winter. Plus just bought a new hair dryer. Would like to use it more on myself than trying to dry the dogs as there are only so many towels I can wash. Does anyone have any recommendations? Diesel wears a harness on walks so has to be compatible with that.

Charlene

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: To buy coats or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
My 3 have all got coats, not any particular make but they do help to keep them a little drier in winter it especially helps when you have 3 cockers  :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline katie94

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
I got an equifleece, initially more to put oin him after wet walks but I've since been using it on him whilst on wet walks, not to keep him warm but to keep him dry. It works a treat. I have the one with the front legs in but will be getting the suit for him for xmas. Will just have feet to dry then! The fleeces wash and dry well and I've used a harness on top as well.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
Archie has a raincoat for if it is chucking it down but more important for me is his equafleece. It wicks the water off off and helps him dry more quickly. It also stops him shaking mud all over the house. It keeps him warm and snuggly and he loves wearing it. He only wears it in the house, not outside. It's a godsend.

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »
Have never heard of them before so have just ordered a brochure and will have a flick through. Just so many products and prices vary, recommendations are always welcome.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Jinley has 2 Equafleeces, one with just the front legs in and one with 4 legs.

Would much rather dry a coat after a wet muddy walk unless there is a chance she will want to swim then it goes on after the walk, usually to go into the pub   :shades:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »
We have coats for our two; raincoats for going out in torrential rain (like this morning) and equafleeces for after baths or for drying them off if we get caught in the rain when out. Their harnesses just go over the top of the coats.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Penny has a raincoat to wear if we're going somewhere after a wet walk, or if we're just walking along the road in the rain. Mostly however, we walk in fields and the beach, so she has an dry dog bag that goes on for the car ride home, followed by an equafleece to complete the job.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
Nope.  Our dogs are hardy Scots dogs (though Genie was originally from Princes Risborough dontcha know) and don't wear coats.  They have Equafleeces (T-shirt, legless types) for if they have to stand about in the town doing nothing in winter, but they wear them maybe twice, three times a year.  We put jackets on our dogs only when they get ancient.  (Oops, speaking of ancient, I'd better get a springer sized one for Skye)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
Our two are also hardy Scottish bred cockers, Milly's from the glens around Huntly and Chaz from the hills above Deeside but, if it's really chucking it down, (Scottish equivalent- a heavy mist  ;)) or during the hours of darkness, our two have their reflective jackets on which do keep their backs dry but allows their undersides to get dripping wet.
When we get back home any mud is hosed off before embarking on the battle of the towels.... Two humans, two cockers, four bath towels, game on, pandemonium  :005:...then their equafleeces are put on to wick away the remaining moisture.
If the fire is on in the living room they usually lie down at opposite ends of the hearth otherwise they've each staked a claim to their own radiator, at opposite ends of the room.
Their absolutely favourite drying out place though is in the kitchen where, instead of wall radiators, we have two fan assisted plinth radiators. Just above floor level and at an ideal height for cocker spaniels, they pick their spots and fast become Immovable objects  ;)

Bob

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:18:51 AM »
I have equafleeces for my 2 oldest cockers as they get cold because of their age - the others have only worn coats if they fundraising and usually stationary
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »
I'm in the soft south :005: (New Forest) and my 2 have polo neck Equafleeces. But I generally only use them as drying coats after wet walks, or if we've been on a walk in the cold that involves a long drive home they wear them in the car on the way back in case they get cold after being warm through exercise.

William is 10 now and although he's as lively as ever he doesn't like heavy rain and tends to plod round rather than run if it's like that when we're out. So he wears his if we have to go out in really heavy rain. In reality that rarely happens because I'm retired so I can walk whatever time of day the weather is at it's best :D

Offline lescef

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
My Equafleeces arrived yesterday. I can't believe how easy they are to put on and the dogs didn't mind either!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »
When Wilf 1st had his equafleece on he curled up and went to sleep in it (I also found it useful when he was ill as it acted as a comforter)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!