Author Topic: Help need on what to feed my cocker  (Read 659 times)

Offline chaz241286

Help need on what to feed my cocker
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »
Hi guys I have a 1year old working cocker spaniel bitch, shes a great girl and in fab condition but always seems so crazy, i can walk her well in excess of over 6 miles a day at 3 separate walks but she is still full of her self.....I am wondering is it the biscuits I'm feeding her? I no cockers are like this but if I'm feeding her biscuits which are going to hype her id like to change them.
I currently feed her the chudleys biscuits....what are you guys feeding please.

Offline loobymiss

Re: Help need on what to feed my cocker
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
If you look on the following link it gives you scorings based on reviews of the majority of the dog foods on the market.  Chudleys doesn't score particularly well.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

I feed my dog Applaws but if you take a look, I would choose a food with a score of 4 or more.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Help need on what to feed my cocker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
Chaz, our male worker, and Milly, our show strain bitch, are both fed on Acana but occasionally Orijen as well to provide a bit of variety in their diets. Both are made by the same Canadian manufacturer and we've found no problems with the dogs swapping from one to another.

Both kibbles are highly rated and, although rather expensive, the smaller amounts required brings the cost down to that of more run of the mill dog foods.

Working cockers are like that though, 6 miles a day over three walks is just a quiet stroll in the park for them but it's very important to keep their brain active by providing mental stimulation as well. If your worker is getting hyper it may be best to provide some sort of game or task, looking for her kibble hidden around the house or in a Kong for instance, to keep her mind occupied.
Our standard walk with Milly and Chaz is just over five miles on the map with the majority being off lead but, while Milly will stick fairly close to us, Chaz can easily double or triple the distance walked by casting about through the heather, trees and undergrowth. Two and a half to three hours later Milly, along with two tired owners, arrive home but Chaz is just getting his second wind  :luv: :005:

Bob.