Author Topic: Tail grooming  (Read 957 times)

Offline lozzyf

Tail grooming
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
Prob been asked before!! But how does anyone groom a long tail? My last cocker had a docked one and now bella's is long and I like it!. I just don't know which is the best way to do it. At the moment I have shaved the top as her hair grows and curls round. Next I have thinned the sides down to stop more curl over and then sort of trimmed and shaped towards the base but have had to shave about 3 inches all round near the base as that gets wee'd on or dragged in her wee's?!!! Is there a better way?? One of the other concerns is when she goes in to kennels she tends to sit outside and that " lovely" tail must soak up any wee that's been done!!!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Tail grooming
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »
I wish I could groom Honeys tail, she hates it >:D I have to wait til she goes to the groomers...
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
Louis is my first Cocker with a tail and I comb the hair carefully to avoid hurting him and then hold the tail out so I can see what I'm doing and use straight bladed use scissors to shorten the length. Louis is hand stripped and I keep him in a modified version of a show trim with his feathering about 1/2 to 2/3 the length it would be for showing. I trim the feathering on his tail fairly short so that it's still recognisable as feathering, but isn't disproportionately long and plumey. Personal choice, but I prefer that look because I think it looks more in balance with the rest of him.

I'd post a photo if I could but my photo software isn't talking to my computer at the moment >:(

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Do any others ,wee on their tails if not cut (females obviously )

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Sounds like you are doing pretty much the right thing. How much feather you leave is up to taste. Even on my show dogs I trim under the base round the bum where it would have been docked to keep it clean and tidy.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
Sounds like you are doing pretty much the right thing. How much feather you leave is up to taste. Even on my show dogs I trim under the base round the bum where it would have been docked to keep it clean and tidy.  ;)
NOW I'm really proud of myself :D :D :shades:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
NOW I'm really proud of myself :D :D :shades:

:shades: Sounds like you are doing a fine job. Some like to leave a lot of feather, some take it all off. Personally my choice is somewhere inbetween as in a shortish feather.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx