Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Deja_14

Advice please
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
Hi everyone,
Me and my partner are looking to get a cocker, really wanted to adopt a rescue but for one reason or another we haven't been able to. So, looking at puppies. We have got an 8yo black lab already but think a cocker would be a great addition to our family.

Ella, our black lab, has a best friend :luv: owned by our friends who is a little male show type cocker.

My question is, can you tell the difference between a show or a working 8 week old pup? Sometimes you can see by the head and ears but sometimes I'm not sure. We found a pup and when I spoke to the lady she was very unsure herself! I think they are a mix.. I didn't tell her I wanted a show type either.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.  ;)

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
Why does it matter? Fundmentally, a cocker, is a cocker, is a cocker. There are some external differences just because show types are bred to conform to breed standards whereas those bred to work are bred for their stamina and abilities with less regard to size and shape issues. Unless you want to show then I would have thought that the issue is pretty irrelevant.

If the dog is to be a household pet then you are really concerned about a pup that's fit and healthy. Otherwise their needs for exercise, stimulation and so forth are pretty much the same.

Offline Nitefox

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Every working cocker I've have come across, seem to be a lot more energetic than show cockers and there owners saying they can keep going all day in the field.

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
Sodpot if Déjà would like a show type I'm not sure why you would take issue with her wish. We all make choices and of course I'm sure she wants a healthy happy pup foremost. We choose colour or sex or show or working, the breed is a choice.  Even those who say they didn't have a preference may have gone and picked a puppy from a litter or fallen for this rescue dog over that.
My choice was a colour that didn't remind me of the dogs I have lost too much so my pups individuality shone and a show because it's what I have always had, I understand what I'm in for and love their personalities ( never having known a worker)

Deja I'd be more concerned the woman you are dealing with seemed unsure of the type of pups she was offering.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Why does it matter? Fundmentally, a cocker, is a cocker, is a cocker. There are some external differences just because show types are bred to conform to breed standards whereas those bred to work are bred for their stamina and abilities with less regard to size and shape issues. Unless you want to show then I would have thought that the issue is pretty irrelevant.

If the dog is to be a household pet then you are really concerned about a pup that's fit and healthy. Otherwise their needs for exercise, stimulation and so forth are pretty much the same.

The two types of Cocker are very different in looks and requirements (mainly regarding exercise/stimulation and grooming) so it is a very important issue. It's really not just that 'a cocker is a cocker' (otherwise why would the two distinct strains have developed in the first place)- and the number of working Cockers in particular that end up in rescues because people didn't know what they were taking on can attest to that. My working Cockers neither look nor act anything like any show Cockers I know, they may as well be a different breed. Health is extremely important but so is knowing the difference in the two types of Cockers - and finding a breeder who knows what they are producing and is breeding for the right reasons from good quality dogs.

To the OP, any good breeder will be very clear about which strain they are breeding and trying to find the most appropriate homes for their puppies. Any breeder who either doesn't know or doesn't care what they are producing should be avoided.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
Deja I'd be more concerned the woman you are dealing with seemed unsure of the type of pups she was offering.

Yes, that would start a whole peal of alarm bells ringing for me as well  :fear2:

We're fortunate in having one of each and they'd best be described as chalk and cheese. Both brilliant in their own way but completely different in others.

The advice given above by Nicola comes from the COL acknowledged expert on working cockers and should really be taken to heart. For my part I'd strongly advise reading the following links before proceeding further......

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.0

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

Bob.

Offline Deja_14

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I have read up and a lot of advice says the worker does require more stimulation and exercise (I'm sure it can vary). My ignorance, if you like, is also down to friends and family only ever having show types and do have a preference towards them. 

I already have a Lab and while she is a lazy dog generally she does enjoy her walks as do I and my partner, however due to our circumstances what I wouldn't want to do is disregard what strain of cocker the pup is and potentially end up with a stressed and unhappy cocker because the level they require is much higher than what we can provide - if that makes sense. And of course my main concern is a healthy pup, we have been looking for about 6 months and we still do not yet have a cocker.

I had thought the same Mandy and Teddy, I doubt they are pedigree and are cheaply priced in comparison to others. But I don't want to fund any unethical breeding  :huh:

I will search on! Thanks eveyone

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »
Can only echo the advice already given. If you let us know whereabouts you are then someone may be able to PM you with possible, reputable breeders.

Offline Deja_14

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
I am based in Essex.

I am finding it quite difficult to find someone who seems genuine but also isn't asking too high an asking price (I know you get what you pay for) within 50 miles.

What do people think of someone advertising pups who has bred purely for keeping back one pup for a family member? Only wants pet homes?
Could it be genuine or a nice story to sell pups?
 :-\ :embarassed:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
It is really important to find a good breeder, there are Puppy Farms everywhere.

I have a show cocker, her breeder used to breed working cockers and train them to the gun, I was told that " if you have a worker you know about it " they are bred for staminer etc, so getting the correct strain to fit in with your lifestyle is very important.

I will PM you a breeder I know, not sure if they have pups but her boys do go out to stud so well worth a call.

Good luck.

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
I would suggest you go through the kennel club website - they keep an updated list of breeders registered with them.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
There you go, that should get you going in your search. Type in Spaniel (Cocker)  Good luck
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx?id=Spaniel+(Cocker)

I suggest you keep a list of the breeders you have asked. You can also ask the KC to send you an updated list by email every so often. btw, some of the breeders on KC site do advertise on the public 'free' sites too. Probably not the ones within the ABS (Accredited Breeder Scheme)

Hope this helps  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
Jazz who is now 3.5 (the black one) came from a KC Assured Breeder in Essex. I don't know if she has any pups at the moment or has any due but she has always bred show strain.

I will happily send you her number if you would like, just send me a PM.

Alternatively, Bailey (the Gold one) came from Shropshire so a long way away but I found her breeder on Champdogs which is also a good website to try.

Good Luck with your search.

Lettie
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
I have a show line and am just about to take on my first working line cocker in the next couple of weeks.

I've done a lot of research, not so much into the lines she's from, but around workers in general. I have a collie from mixed lines who's very working in attitude so I do have some experience of the work invloved.. but I expect she will need a lot more.

I compete at flyball and train at agilty, along with some canine conditioning and clicker work at home on top of regular walks, so will be able to offer an active life. Going for walks, even with ball throwing, wouldn't be enough for my collie or my german shep come to that - they are both dogs who needs a job, or they find their own!! My show line cocker on the other hand would be perfectly happy with just ball throwing and chasing squirrels on a walk without the other activties

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
We were expecting the worst with our two 3yr old working cockers, but actually they are pretty chilled unless you wind them up! they do have bags of energy for walks/runs, and want to "help" with most things, but they chill right out after their walks and love cuddles/sleeping on the sofa in the evening :)
The main thing is plenty of games/walks/training to stop them getting bored
I think it really does depend on the personality of the dog, but not sure how you tell that with an 8 week old puppy! Hopefully your lab will be a calming influence :D