Author Topic: Breed standard eye colour  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Jane1320

Breed standard eye colour
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
Hi, I know I'm clutching at straws, but so disappointed. Just want to confirm that a show type orange roan with a pink nose and amber eyes can't be shown can she? Because she doesn't meet the breed standard?  :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Breed standard eye colour
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
Hi, I know I'm clutching at straws, but so disappointed. Just want to confirm that a show type orange roan with a pink nose and amber eyes can't be shown can she? Because she doesn't meet the breed standard?  :huh:

Don't know the answer, but this link may help you? 

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=2052
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
Hopefully JaneS will see this and answer. My understanding (may not be correct) is that orange roans can have black or brown pigmentation. Those with black pigmentation will have a black nose and dark brown eyes. Those with brown pigmentation will have a brown nose and lighter brown eyes. Both can be shown.

Does your girl have a pink nose or a light brown one and are her eyes really amber or are they brown? Can you post a photo of her?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:26 PM »
There are no disqualifying faults in the breed standard so in theory you could show any colour with any kind of pigmentation or lack of pigmentation but in practice, it is true you would be unlikely to do well with an orange with a totally pink nose & very light eyes, especially at higher level shows. Is the nose really pink or is it more of a very pale brown which can look pink (which comes about as a result of the liver gene)? Not that it matters really - I was just curious :D
Jane