Author Topic: Bones for teeth cleaning?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Bones for teeth cleaning?
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
What bones are good to give dogs to help keep their teeth clean? Thanks!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Bones for teeth cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
George and Hamish have lamb neck bones and chicken wings to keep their teeth clean, it seems to work, no  tartar on either of them, George is ten next month and Hamish is 7 ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
That's great thank you. I'll have a look when shopping tomorrow.  :D

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Just plucked up the courage to give Mika her first chicken wing - she really enjoyed it and it gave her mouth a real workout! How often can she have them? Thank you.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
oh well done, I glad that Mika enjoyed it :D the boys have one each day for their tea, which they love ;) they have varied raw meals for their breakfast, but teatime always remains the same  :lol2:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
You may know this already Holly but a good thing is to poo watch as a kibble fed dog suddenly taking on bone "may" upset the system.
Poo thats too white means too much bone for the dog and i always freeze (then defrost) my wings before feeding.
One other thing don't feed Mika her wing at the same time as her kibble, ideally it they should be 12 hours apart as kibble digests much slower than raw therefore allowing any bacteria that forms in the gut to sit around for a while....raw on its own is digested very quickly.  :blink:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Thank you both. I'll freeze the rest before they have them - if forgot that so thank you for the reminder.

Is a chicken wing enough for a meal or should I add something else raw? The wings are great as there's no chopping up etc which for a squeamish veggie is great! Mika is cocker sized. I'd like the other two to have them also (Rio cocker and Ruby who's a JR but eats more than the others!). The only way to get a really good gap between raw and kibble would be kibble for breakie, raw for tea. Just thinking what to put with it that would also be easy to deal with?!

Another question, Rio, who inhales her dinner she eats craaaaazily fast. Is it definitely safe to give her a chicken wing? I have visions of her swallowing it whole! X

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
I feed my two raw in the morning and kibble in the afternoon.  When giving them chicken wings, each girl gets two.
Marley eats very very quickly too and I have to hold on to the chicken wing as she eats it otherwise it would go in just one swallow  :o
As a veggie too, I do feel bad feeding them the chicken wings and you will probably find it doubly so as you have your own chickens.   :-\
I do HATE walking down the meat aisle at the supermarket as well, seeing all the pieces of dead animals  :'(  and  feel such a hypocrite at the checkout.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
If you are going to part raw feed Holly i suggest some research :)
Mika needs a meal that weighs between 2-3% of her ideal body weight.
You can use perhaps a chicken wing, a sprinkling of pre made mince and maybe some liver, but for a while i would just stick with chicken as introducing too much variety in one go can lead to the poops.

I used to part raw feed Ruby and always found undigested bone in her poo and if she had too much bone in one meal she would sick it back up. Since she is fully raw fed this doesnt happen any more and i believe it is because the PH level in her gut is more stable than when i combined kibble and raw, so you will have to monitor how Mika adapts.
It is a scary thing when they gulp bone so you could always hold one end for Rio or smash it up a bit before feeding.
There is a FB group called The Raw Feeding Community it is mainly American but many are part raw feeders maybe you could get some more advice there too :))
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »
Thank you both. I'll see how Mika goes! I'll try the other two with them tomorrow. I've joined the group you mentioned. Thanks for the pm to Toni, I'll turn off FB notifications so it doesn't randomly pop up when I'm eating my breakie but otherwise it's fine - it's the feel and the smell that gets me! I gave the chicken wing to Mika on the lawn and watched from the window! I will have to sit with the other two as they won't be so careful!

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Now they've all had chicken wings for dinner. Ruby kept looking at me as if to say "...really, your really letting me eat this?!"  :005:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 09:05:11 AM »
Now they've all had chicken wings for dinner. Ruby kept looking at me as if to say "...really, your really letting me eat this?!"  :005:
:005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry