Author Topic: Very fine boned update  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Mandy and Teddy

Very fine boned update
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
Am I worrying about nothing?

I've always thought  Teddy was a bit small and his snout and head were fairly skinny. Everyone we meet thinks he is a girl. None of this really bothered me much.

Teddy went for his first haircut today at a breeders and comparing his leg bones to the other dogs was a little shocking.
She had two older dogs, two his age ( one female one male) and eleven week old puppies and his bones were finer than even the puppies! I'm fairly sure I could snap them if I tried.

Is he not getting enough calcium? is he just a really fine boned dog and it's not a worry or should I bring it up with the vet?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Very fine boned
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »
I think if he's in proportion and is fit and well it's most likely that he's just a fine boned and dainty Cocker. If he's being fed a decent diet he shouldn't have any lack of calcium. Could you post a recent picture of him (it would be lovely to see one anyway :D). But if you're worried then ask your vet.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Are you about to join the Pocket Rocket sub-group  ;)
Gemma is tiny, bony and skinny. but she can match all the gun dogs (inc labs) that she works with. infact she has to put more effort into jumping her way through cover/crop just so she can see where she is going.

ps, most people we meet are shocked at her age, tend to think she is still a pup  >:(
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:57:55 AM »
I will definitely post some new photos soon, I've just been really busy and haven't taken any.

I just wanted to update by saying that we took little Teddy to the vet just to use their scales this morning.
24th of October he weighed 9.1 this morning he weighed 9.1!

Where do I apply for my Pocket Rocket Cocker Club badge???
Could he be finished growing at seven months ( or really six months as he hasn't since then) ?

he only has one testicle but I'm loathe to have them removed and possibly stunt any growth he might have left, anyone got any opinions??

Again we don't care if he is a tiny teddy we just want what will be best for him.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »
at 7 months he's probably as tall as he will get and they tend to fill out more now as they mature - I have 2 small cockers as well but never worried about them with regard to their size as I love it and they weigh about 10kg as adults
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
William had a retained testicle and in the end I had him castrated because of the potential cancer risk that retained testicles pose. If he hadn't been testicularly challenged he would have remained entire. But I waited until he was 15 months old to give him time to mature physically and mentally, and personally would never have a dog castrated before at least 12 months old. So you don't need to rush into it with Teddy at the moment :D

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
We also delayed the removal of an undescended testicle until our William was nearly 18 months of age, but we only had the undeveloped one removed.

For information on this procedure, the story of William's op can be found here.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=107143.90

M.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
Harry was very fine boned until about 18mths. He looked like a pretty girly puppy  :005:  I used to worry as Ben was chunky, not fat but solid.

I always thought Harry looked delicate in comparison. He has filled out a bit now, but has been surprisingly rough and tough for a girly cocker  :005: 
Your Teddy just looks adorable, but we need more photos to judge properly  ;)

Offline **kookie**

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 04:55:07 AM »
He still has time to beef up.
Dora is fine boned and dainty, she's is around the 10/11 kg mark now. She was skinny till her first season, and has rounded up a little. She bulked up a little when I started feeding her a raw diet. Everyone tell me she needs to bulk up, but she's in proportion, healthy and happy, so I'm happy.
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline Mandy and Teddy

Re: Very fine boned update
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:44:53 AM »

24th of October he weighed 9.1 27th of November he weighed 9.1!
13th of December he weighed??? 8.9!

My baby boy is going backwards!
The vet gave him a quick check though and didn't think he seemed too skinny, she did think he may have stopped as he hasn't grown for seven weeks.
He's a perfect little lap full  :luv:

I'll probably be posting in six months that he is 15 kilos and I can't get him in the car  :005:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »
There is the most beautiful cocker that goes to Ironpitts Gun Dog Training, called Echo - I bet she's no more than 7Kg in weight but picks up like a Labrador  :005:  I really thought she was a very young pup the first time I saw her, not only was she over 3 years old but had already had a litter!

Cockers come in all shapes, sizes and colours! As long as Teddy is healthy I wouldn't worry  :D

Is there a photo of him?

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
Hi Pearly,
I'm not sure if you saw these I took a few days ago and posted in the puppy photo section

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=113352.0

A full side on body shot would show you better I guess. I'll try to take some more

Wow 7kg really IS tiny I would love to see her

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
The vet told me Ollie was on the small side for a cocker, he is 7.  Next time I went I asked again, this time a different vet said he was a great weight just a smaller cocker.  He's 10 kilos

As for Teddy he is the cutest cocker puppy and adorable.  Every picture I see makes me adore him :luv:

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 08:34:50 PM »
Looking at the picture links he looks small but all in proportion just like my Jodie who stands just over 11inches & weighs in at 8.1kg, Jodie is all their just small lovely shape fine bones yes but in proportion to her structure.

But boy can she do all the cockers things has loads of drive & energy size make no difference to her
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
He's stunning  :luv: