Author Topic: People who have dogs and bitches - question  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Sherlock

People who have dogs and bitches - question
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
For those of you who have a bitch and an intact dog, can I ask your opinion/advice?

We're considering getting a puppy (Sherlock is now 3 and a half, and as well behaved as he'll ever get  ;)) and we'd ideally like a bitch.

I know you shouldn't have her spayed until after her first season, so I wondered how people with multi-dog households cope with this?  Sherlock is intact and we don't want to have him neutered as he's healthy and happy as he is.

Have you found that you need to keep your bitch and your dog separated for the whole month? Kennels aren't an option for Sherlock and it's a long time to ask family members to have him.  Can you keep them together for some of the time, or really not at all?  Do any of you divide the house rather than have them in totally different locations?

Thanks for any opinions/advice   :D

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: People who have dogs and bitches - question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
You don't have to wait until she has had a season? I had my two girls done at 7 months of age  :luv: you will find different opinions on this matter? if you want to wait until after her first season then you will have to keep Sherlock under lock and key poor lad it will drive him and her mad  ph34r sorry I can't help much more x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
I've never had both but my friends used to, and their male Border Terrier used to go and stay with my friend's sister when his Border Terrier lady friend was in season. It worked very well for them.

I think many vets now advise waiting until after at least one season before spaying because the hormones help with mental and physical development and it also means that spaying will take place after the growth plates have closed, which reduces the risk of joint problems.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
I don't have a bitch and dog, but if I did I think I would find it impossible to have a bitch in season and intact male under the same roof. The bitches scent would drive the boy mad and having to keep doors closed and not let either dog get out would drive me mad !!

You would need to keep them apart for almost a month, unless you have a large house and garden, I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be !

Chloe

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »
I have an entire dog and an entire bitch. Unless you have a house set up where you can keep them completely apart and not risk someone forgetting to close doors etc. then I wouldn't recommend it. Even with that it's difficult during the few days when she's at the peak of her season and smelling most attractive. I have sent Ro to stay with a friend at this stage a few times which makes life easier for all of us. I'm very lucky with Ro though, despite him being a stud dog for Hearing Dogs and knowing what it's all about he's very good and doesn't whinge at all or mither after Caoimhe too much. He gets a bit more wound up when she's at the peak time but tbh Caoimhe's worse than him, she's a bit of a floozy, and that's why I try to send him to my friend's house if I can! If he was the kind of dog who whined, howled, scratched at the doors, cocked his leg indoors, went off food etc. it'd be unbearable. I have a system for keeping them apart - up to and then after her peak time I can have them in the same room if I'm there as Ro really isn't that bothered as he knows not to waste his time if they're not ready. He is unusual though, most other male dogs I know aren't like this! I never leave them unattended right from day 1 though, just in case. If I go to the shower/loo/bed Caoimhe comes with me, and when I'm out they are locked in opposite sides of the house - I have a longish hallway and two locking doors between my kitchen and living room so I know there's no way they can get to each other. Caoimhe is nearly 6 now and we've never come close to having an accident, but it is hard work for those 5 or 6 days in the middle and fairly stressful; even though I'm fanatical about closing and locking the doors - I tape a reminder note to the inside of my front door for the duration which I can't miss - I still get the odd 'oh my god I did didn't I??!!' moment when I've left the house!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
I even find Wilf who was neutered at 8 months of age (he's now 11) gets whiney and unsettled when I have fosters here who are in season
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »
We had an entire (very well behaved) dog once (not a cocker) and introduced a female puppy into the household. At her first season he went berserk. We tried to keep him out of the house for a couple of days but he chewed at the windowframes to get in! I found it was impossible to accurately tell when a season had started or finished. It was a nightmare. We ended up with a completely unintended litter!

So I recommend spaying as early as possible

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
Hi,I have an entire male Benson and two entire bitches Cloe and Gabby and have found that Benson is not interested in them for the first 10 days.When Cloe first comes in to season she will flirt with Benson like mad but hes just not bothered.For the first week we can keep them together but under strict supervision (bear in mind Bensons five and Cloe's eight so we have had plenty of practice and this might not be the same for all dogs ).After 10 days Benson goes mental if he sees Cloe (Gabby) and  he has to be kept in another part of the house or I try to go away with him for a few days.Then after another four days things get back to normal and a couple of days later they can be allowed together again under supervision.

Offline **kookie**

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
I have an entire dog and a bitch. We made good use of several safety gates and cages. It's doable, but you just have to be very aware.
I got some of the mikki hygiene pants and pads, much to my OHs amusement, I didn't keep them on all the time, but at times when they might have been in the same vicinity. It just gave an extra 30 seconds or so of breathing space. I will use them on her next season too.
I'm not a vet, but wouldn't have a bitch spayed before her first season, they are still maturing both mentally and physically.
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
Is there a reason why you would consider having the bitch spayed and not having Sherlock done instead?

Offline Nance

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »
I know this is perhaps late in the day on this subject but I have a 2yr old spayed cocker and recently adopted (for good) a 15mth old cocker boy.  From the moment I bought him home, he pestered my bitch and mounted her at every opportunity.  She was beside herself having to cope with this newcomer and the fact that he was doing stuff to her she'd never experienced.  Sorry to say that I couldn't cope with this as space is pretty limited in my house.  So the boy had to be done and since then, peace has reigned and they are the best of friends.
Nance