Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1559 times)

Offline dave192

Advice needed please
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Its been just over 10 days since I changed Archie's food from dry to wet. We went for a straight swap as he refused to eat for two days and I was advised buy the vets to change straight over. He is eating Wainwrights for puppy's (he is 11 months old).

He seems to enjoy it although some days he will eat half his breakfast in the morning and the other half at lunch time. Anyway his poops are still sloppy, sometimes they have a bit of body but other times it is sloppy.

I wondering if I should try another wet food (has to be a natural food) or perceiver a bit longer.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
the straight swap may not be helping so give it a week or so, personally I wouldn't just give wet food. a little complete mixed in well might help. wainwright hypoallergenic is a decent dry food
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »
Wainwrights trays are a complete food. Complete wet food is absolutely fine on its own and doesn't need a mixer. I've never had a problem with my Archie's poos on it.  I would have thought that ten days would be long enough but you could give it a day or two more. If he was having sloppy poos before the change then I suspect it may be something other than food causing a problem. Perhaps he is intolerant to the main protein source? Is there another flavour? (There was only one when my Archie was a pup.) Has a poo sample been checked at the vet? The only other thing you could consider is moving onto the adult food as perhaps the puppy version is too rich?

Offline dave192

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Archie was solid in the poo department until he was switched over to wet food. Maybe I'll try the adult food and see how he goes.

Offline Alioscar

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
Hi can you tell me when I should change from puppy to adult food my boy is 10 months old and has been fed on Origen , his poos are inconsistent and seem to go from normal to soft all the time. He is happy and very lively, I wonder if the adult food will be less rich does anyone know.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
If you've been feeding him Orijen Puppy then you may benefit from a move to Acana Adult. It's made by the same Canadian company as Orijen but has slightly less protein while still retaining the high quality ingredients.

We feed Chaz, our 2 year old worker, on Orijen and Milly, our 4 year old show cocker, on Acana Adult Dog.

Bob

Offline Alioscar

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
Thanks for your help Bob will look into Acana food. Oscar is also a working cocker and full of beans I weighed him today and he was 13 kg so at 10 months maybe he's fully grown?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
I changed Coco onto adult food at about 6 months I think.  Yes, puppy food is higher in protein and therefore richer than the adult ones, so maybe time to change  ;)

Cockers seem to be more or less fully grown at about 12 months, although they may still fill out a bit for a couple more months  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
Thanks for your help Bob will look into Acana food. Oscar is also a working cocker and full of beans I weighed him today and he was 13 kg so at 10 months maybe he's fully grown?

He shouldn't be far off when it comes to height and length but he should now be building muscle which is heavier than fat. This should mean that he keeps the same weight, or may even put some on, but he should start to look a bit leaner and sleek.
Don't just go by his weight alone. Our Chaz's dad is a BIG boy and Chaz, just over 17kg in weight, is definitely following in his father's footsteps. He has a definite waist though and his stomach is well tucked up with his ribs being easily felt.
We've found that Acana and Orijen can be mixed or swapped with no problems so it's easy to move from one to the other to give some variety of taste or adjust the amount of protein in their diet.
With both Acana and Orijen I'd suggest weighing his daily amounts out and you may find that an amount slightly less than the recommended daily amount will provide the best solution.

Bob.

Offline Alioscar

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
I feed Oscar 250g of Origen puppy a day and always weigh it. I looked into arcana like you suggested and it sounds great just a bit less protein so will give it a try and report back, thanks for your help Bob.