Author Topic: Itchy and scratchy  (Read 713 times)

Offline kaz60

Itchy and scratchy
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »

For the past couple of days Arthur has really been scratching furiously at his body. He doesn't have fleas as the vet has checked him and he has had his drops. I am feeding him Natural instinct raw dog food with science plan puppy kibble, this is what the breeder was feeding him. I have some wainwrights puppy kibble which I note is hypoallergenic, should I gradually introduce the wainwrights to see if that helps? Could he have dry skin? Would he benefit from a fish oil or is he too young? It's horrible to see him scratching so much. 😞

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Itchy and scratchy
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
Has anything changed in his usual environment, different washing powder, cleaning products or maybe scented candles ?

He could be having a reaction to something in the home.

Are you feeding him kibble with his N.I, as this would normally cause tummy problems but not scratching.

Offline kaz60

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
Nothing has changed regarding household products. The breeder was feeding Arthur Science Plan puppy with a spoonful of natural instinct which I have carried on with so his feeding hasn't changed so I can't understand what is causing this scratching. He went for his last injection last night and I mentioned the scratching to the vet but she didn't seem overly concerned but in saying that she made a hash up of giving him his injection so he had to be given another one, poor thing 😞 I will see how he goes and if it gets too bad I will have to take him back to the vet.

Karen

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
Murphy had dry skin and he eats NI. You could see it in his coat like dandruff.

I started giving him fish oil tablets once a day (omega 3) and it cleared up nearly overnight.

Offline kaz60

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:28 PM »
Where do you get the fish oil tablets from? Thank you for that, I will try giving Arthur those and see if that helps.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »
Where do you get the fish oil tablets from? Thank you for that, I will try giving Arthur those and see if that helps.

Any chemist or supermarket will sell them.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:51:10 AM »
Don't feed the raw mixed with the Natural Instinct. If you look on www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk it gives the ratings on dog food Science Plan not so good .

Feed the Natural Instinct on its own . Excellent stuff.  I have been using Natural Instinct with my two for about 18 months. There are also,some FB groups for raw feeding. Raw Feeding Rebels, Barf Diet Chat and Raw Feeding UK.

Erica.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »
I had this problem with Kez (raw fed) in the summer, I tried eliminating all sorts of things & bathe in tea tree oil shampoo, she was already taking omega 3, nothing changed.   Then I started "Oil of Evening Primrose"; not sure if it is that or the fact it's now winter but the intense itching has stopped, it did take a while not just overnight.
regards from Julie & Kez