Author Topic: Non-ticked Black & Whites  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Hamad

Non-ticked Black & Whites
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
I haven't been seeing this colour often and the same goes for liver and white, orange and white, or black/tan and white without ticking either. Is there a reason why these colours aren't as common as roans and solids?

Offline Mandy and Teddy

Re: Non-ticked Black & Whites
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
Teddy is orange and white but you are right even in Australia you don't see them that often. Often people are confused about what breed he is and say they didn't know cockers came in his colourings.
The puppy secretary at the victorian cocker spaniel society said it was because golds and blue roans win shows, that it's much harder to win with "and whites".

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
All the colours listed are recessive ie "and whites" are recessive to the dominant "roans". "And tan" is also a recessive pattern in both solids and particolours. It's inevitable that the dominant colours and patterns will be more numerous than the recessives since a recessive colour can only be produced if both parents either are that colour/pattern or carry the gene for it. I don't think it has much to do with show ring popularity in the UK since show breeders make up only a small percentage of breeders producing puppies today & actually in the show ring, black and tan is quite popular here (there have been a number of recent top winners in this colour) and orange and white can also do well (we've had an orange and white show champion and another with CCs).

Fashion also plays a part as far as colours are concerned, especially with breeders breeding commercially for the pet market -sables and chocolate/livers are "in" with these sort of breeders but who knows, in a few years time, it will probably be something different ;)
Jane

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
Sorry I wrote the above when rather tired. I should have said that was her opinion not that I thought it was a really sound one.
I know my breeder is very well regarded in show circles and has many champions. She did says that she has always loved gold roans and Orange and whites and is trying to increase their popularity here.