Author Topic: Tissue eating  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Tissue eating
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
That's right on the money. I NEVER chase Henry for anything or react in the slightest, so there is no fun for him in running away with contraband. Most things he brings to me for a swap, and if he doesn't bring it straight away, he drops it the minute he sees my hand going to the treat jar.

This approach was a life saver recently when he found some cooked chicken bones in the park. He was a little distance away from me when I saw him lie down and start munching on something. Because we have no habit of chase in these circumstances, or me taking things from him (only him GIVING things to me) he didn't run off when I strolled over and I was able to put a hand on his harness, and pull out the long bones that were heading down his throat. Other dog owners were having a terrible time trying to get the bones off their dogs, trying and failing to chase them down. This wasn't a circumstance in which I expected Henry to voluntarily swap the contraband as it was such a high value food item. But because I very rarely take things from him, there was no problem doing it when I needed to.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
That's right on the money. I NEVER chase Henry for anything or react in the slightest, so there is no fun for him in running away with contraband. Most things he brings to me for a swap, and if he doesn't bring it straight away, he drops it the minute he sees my hand going to the treat jar.

This approach was a life saver recently when he found some cooked chicken bones in the park. He was a little distance away from me when I saw him lie down and start munching on something. Because we have no habit of chase in these circumstances, or me taking things from him (only him GIVING things to me) he didn't run off when I strolled over and I was able to put a hand on his harness, and pull out the long bones that were heading down his throat. Other dog owners were having a terrible time trying to get the bones off their dogs, trying and failing to chase them down. This wasn't a circumstance in which I expected Henry to voluntarily swap the contraband as it was such a high value food item. But because I very rarely take things from him, there was no problem doing it when I needed to.

Brilliant example of swell trained dog. Bet the other handlers looked on in envy......once they got there breath back after all that frantic running about. Lol

I had similar last year on holiday, she got hold of half a rabbit (road kill) BUT this was one of those rare moments that she decided she wanted it, boy can cockers clamp down hard with there mouth when they want too 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

Well done Henry!!!