Author Topic: Puppy!!!!  (Read 771 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
Puppy!!!!
« on: July 28, 2006, 02:06:01 PM »
Hi Again

Yes I am getting my puppy tomorrow, but on a more serious note, how's everbody's puppies coping with the heat.

We've got a 2.5 hour journey home once we've collected her, thankfully the car's got air-con but once you get out of the car, the heat nearly knocks you off your feet!

We've got a hopefully puppy proof shady back garden and the hallway where we plan for her bed to be is tiled so that should be cool.

I suppose I'm really worried that the stress of being seperated from the rest of the litter, the long car ride and the heat all being too much and making her ill.

Any hints or tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Puppy!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:17:38 PM »
Hi again  :D

The heat can be hard on them but it sounds like you've thought about it already and are quite well prepared. One important thing is to make sure she has plenty of fresh cool water to drink and you could also try giving her some ice cubes to chew on, this is especially good for puppies as it soothes their teeth as well. There are some toys you can get at pets at home which you can put in the freezer before you give them, Alfie had one and he loved it (note the past tense, it didn't last very long!).. If you've got a fan you could set that up so she can lie in the breeze but be careful that she can't reach it or the electric cord, if you've got a baby gate fitted it could go behind that or outside her crate if you're using one. Alfie likes to lie on a cool damp towel as well, he carries it around with him and then flops down on it...

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions soon  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jenny & Soppy Poppy

• Site Member
  • My baby girl!
Re: Puppy!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:03:57 PM »
I brought Poppy a small paddling pool for the garden... they sell them in Tesco I think it was only a couple of pound (so ok if they bite holes in it!!) I dont fill it very deep but she loves jumping in and out of it!

Obviously this will have to be supervised esp if yours is still a baby.

I folded pairs of socks in with poppy when she slept so it gave the illusion of her brothers and sisters being there!

But as mentioned before... ice cubes and kongs (that you freeze) are very good!I also give poppys face a once over with a wet wipe to refresh her a bit!

Good luck! Bet you are excited!!! ;)
Jenny & Poppy