Author Topic: M&S Insurance Surprise  (Read 6442 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
M&S Insurance Surprise
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:43:24 AM »
When Tilly came to me she had insurance with Pet Plan which is valid until the end of this month. So in a fit of organisation I rang M&S today to sort out her cover ongoing from the end of January as I have Alfie insured with M&S.

A lot of people have posted on here recently about their M&S premiums having shot up hugely in the last year so I was bracing myself for a nasty quote but I was very pleasantly surprised when the girl told me the cost and it's actually £11.00 LESS than the cost of Alfie's policy which was started last March (before the price increases came in). The policies are identical; full cover with zero excess etc.  :huh: It's costing me £131 for the year and Alfie's cover since last March is £142.

I guess I will see when I renew Alfie's cover in March if his goes up but it was a very pleasant surprise about Tilly's as I was expecting a quote of £170ish + after what I'd read about the price hikes  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: M&S Insurance Surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:33:02 AM »
Thats a nice surprise Nicola  :shades:

I got an insurance surprise myself on Saturday  ::)  When we first got Melody she had her free insurance until the beginning of Feb last year.  A couple of weeks before that was due to end I contacted the Kennel Club and asked to continue the insurance with them. 

Then in August/September time after hearing about how good M&S were from other COL members I took out a policy with them and called the kennel club to cancel.  A very helpful lady told me I didn't seem to have a policy with them at all and I couldn't find anything on my bank statements so I was panicked and thought I'd had no insurance for Melly since February  :o

Guess what arrived in the post on Saturday? ?  A renewal letter from the Kennel Club!!!!  Happily telling me that Melody's insurance is now due for renewal !!  I've been paying £24 a month to the Kennel Club AND I paid the M&S policy outright last September! 

So she's been doubly insured all the time!!  I'm officially a numpty  :embarassed:    The moral of this story is always check your bank statements, unlike me - I'm not good with money at the best of times  :embarassed: ::)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:43:16 AM »
I think the underwriters at M & S have some weird calculation so that young, male dogs have the highest policy prices.....Alfie may not work out quite as much of a bargain ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:15:18 AM »
Mrs Mac - write to Kennel Club quoting your policy number explain that you phoned them and they could find no trace of you - send them a copy of your schedule for M&S.  Hey presto, you should be in for a bigger surprise as they will refund you  ;)

Any probs give me a shout.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:10:01 AM »
I got Disneys renewal in a couple of weeks ago from M&S and its only gone up by just under £2 so I was pleasantly surprised
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
I have had M&S insurance out on Kali since I bought her.  I put in a claim for her eye operation on the 16th of October.  Before they had even opened the paperwork on that, she had an operation because she was thought to have swallowed something that was making her sick.  I finally got two cheques for both claims on the 23rd of December.  I know they are busy with people joining because they told me but I found them really abrupt on the phone.  At one point they tried to tell me that I hadn't put in a claim and I said that was strange because I had a letter 5 days later from them, thanking them for my claim form submission :-\   I really think that if it hadn't been for my vet nurse phoning them every week that I would still be waiting.  As I told M&S, the fact that they had more people joining than they expected was their problem, not mine....
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »
Mrs Mac - write to Kennel Club quoting your policy number explain that you phoned them and they could find no trace of you - send them a copy of your schedule for M&S.  Hey presto, you should be in for a bigger surprise as they will refund you  ;)

Any probs give me a shout.

Thank Michelle, it hadn't even occurred to me I could do that.  I feel so stupid  :embarassed:  I'll let you know  ;) :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »

Mrs Mac - the same thing happened to me with Misty. She had the first 6weeks free insurance with the KC but I took out a new policy with a different company when that was due to end. It was only when I got the renewal form through from the KC a year later that I found out I'd been paying for a whole year by direct debit, so Misty was doubly insured. Apparently when I had sent off the change of ownership form and ordered the breed record supplement I didn't tick a box to say I didn't want to continue the insurance - the bank details I'd given to pay for change of ownership and the supplement were used to charge me for the insurance. They refused to refund me saying it was my mistake not theirs.

The one good thing about it was that when looking through my bank statments for the KC payments I found out all my phone bills were wrong ( over £250 a quarter) - I got a massive refund from them. I haven't learnt my lesson though - I still don't check bank statements.  :lol:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »

the bank details I'd given to pay for change of ownership and the supplement were used to charge me for the insurance. They refused to refund me saying it was my mistake not theirs.

can they actually do that? surely that wasn't an actual direct debit mandate form?????????

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »

the bank details I'd given to pay for change of ownership and the supplement were used to charge me for the insurance. They refused to refund me saying it was my mistake not theirs.

can they actually do that? surely that wasn't an actual direct debit mandate form?????????

I've still got Stevie's form here ( not got round to sending it off yet  ph34r) - it looks like there's two boxes - one for the 6 weeks insurance, one for the ongoing insurance. I must have ticked the wrong one when filling in Misty's. I should have asked for a photocopy as proof that I'd made the mistake not them - I guess it's too late now.  ::)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:11:02 PM »

I've still got Stevie's form here ( not got round to sending it off yet  ph34r) - it looks like there's two boxes - one for the 6 weeks insurance, one for the ongoing insurance. I must have ticked the wrong one when filling in Misty's. I should have asked for a photocopy as proof that I'd made the mistake not them - I guess it's too late now.  ::)
I wouldn't think that it is too late to do anything. The form for transfer of ownership you completed only has details for a one off payment doesnt it,  not a direct debit agreement, agreeing to pay £24 a month.
I activated my 6 weeks free insurance for Aidee online and have cancelled the direct debit I had to set up from my end. I shall be phoning the KC in the morning now just to make sure they dont take money they shouldn't in that way cos I paid for the transfer with debit card details :o
I'd contact your bank ;) and ask KC for a copy of the form you sent, cos thats a lot of money ;)

Can you pay monthly with M&S then?

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 02:30:35 PM »

I haven't learnt my lesson though - I still don't check bank statements.  :lol:

Colin you are so naughty!!!  :005:

I have all my income and expenditure on a spreadsheet and i tick it to my bank statement monthly  ph34r I'm so sad I know  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »

Can you pay monthly with M&S then?

Yes, that's how I do it with my two. I have about a gerjillion direct debits which all come out of my current account the day after I get paid  :o  :'(

Mrs Mac and Colin, I would definitely see if you can try to get your money back!

I never check bank statements either. Most months I don't even open them  ph34r
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:03 AM »
I never check bank statements either. Most months I don't even open them  ph34r

Me neither!!! Ignorance is bliss and most of the time I dont need a piece of paper telling me Im skint!!!
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
same here. i don't even open mine, just lob it straight in the bin.