Author Topic: when to stop soaking puppy complete food  (Read 16701 times)

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
when to stop soaking puppy complete food
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »
Hi all

its questionrama from me at the moment, so I want to say thanks in advance.

The breeder was soaking Charlies complete food before he had it. we have continued this, he is 8 weeks old ... when should we give him it unsoaked ... eg the "hard stuff" 

many thanks again in advance
Phil

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: when to stop soaking puppy complete food
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
I gradually tapered the water down until they were eating dry at about 12 weeks. When teething though they may struggle so you may find you bneed to soften their food again.

In saying that, I'm having to soak food for my 8 month old else she won't eat it  ::)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »
You can stop doing it whenever, if your pup will eat it that way.  You may find that when he's teething he struggles with it being dry, if he does soak it again.  Sometimes soaking it is useful if the pup loses interest as it brings out the flavour a bit more.  Again its trial and error I'm afraid!

Edited to add: Sorry I've said much the same as Gill!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »
You can stop now, he has teeth that are designed for this purpose. Its also good for his teething development to crunch.  ;)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:53:33 AM »
I soak the food for all our dogs... not for hours, but I pour water over their food before they get it (roughly 1 mug of water per 1 mug of food). I started doing this because one of our lurchers drinks very little water to the point that his urine was quite dark yellow. Since adding lots of water to the food, I am satisfied that they all get enough water, so I don't need to worry about that anymore.

Jesse (20 weeks old) is teething at the moment and he would really struggle with dry food... it takes him ages to just chew up one kibble...  :005:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »
I've been using his kibble as treats for toilet etc ... and he's been fine crunching this

I'll change the hot water used to cold ... then reduce down so its just kibble .... and see what happens

I think he will be fine, he's an adaptable little fluffball

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »
I still put a little drop of warm water on my two's food, just think it brings out the flavour for them  ;) but I don't actually soak it as such

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 08:39:35 AM »
I've been using his kibble as treats for toilet etc ... and he's been fine crunching this

I'll change the hot water used to cold ... then reduce down so its just kibble .... and see what happens

I think he will be fine, he's an adaptable little fluffball

I do add some warm water to all my dogs food as some of them woolf it down that fast it  stops them choaking. But its mot a mush and as I said they need to crunch.

This topic reminds me of years ago when my brothers friend came for tea, his mother asked what we were having? My mum said Roast Beef. Oh she said, Michael cant chew roast beef!! My mother said, well if he can chew highland toffee he can chew roast beef, needless to say he had it and eat the lot.  :005:

Offline jeanieb

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »
Hi Phil,

My boys are just over ten weeks and I have stopped soaking their food now. However do just add a little warm water as some of the others on this post have said I think it brings the flavour out a little more. They are eating it fine.   

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Benji seems to have gone off his Arden Grange a little so I've been adding some semi-skimmed milk to it which he seems to really like.
Is this okay though, can dogs eat (drink?!) cows milk?

Thanks.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »
Cows milk isn't good for dogs and can cause stomach upsets due to the high levels of lactose. If you really want to give your dog milk, goats milk would be better suited. ;) :D

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 03:59:51 PM »
Ooh thanks Michele I'll stop that immediately!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
Kali had cows milk every day right up until she was 10 months old, loved it and never had any trouble.  Holly on the other hand, cannot drink it without it making an appearance later ph34r.

Burns advice to me on the phone was to soak their food until they had got all their grown up teef in :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:37:56 PM »
Charlie still has a little puppy milk every day at the moment (is goat milk based and callled toplife from the supermarket).. but we are phasing that out

I'll keep with sticking a little hot water on to make the "gravy" ... it does make it smell nicer .. if that makes sense  ;)

Cheers
Phil

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
Charlie still has a little puppy milk every day at the moment (is goat milk based and callled toplife from the supermarket).. but we are phasing that out

I'll keep with sticking a little hot water on to make the "gravy" ... it does make it smell nicer .. if that makes sense  ;)

Cheers
Phil

One thing I learned not too long ago was hot water ie (boiling) can kill the neutrients in certain dog foods.  :blink: