Author Topic: Does your dog show agression?  (Read 12153 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joelf

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
  • Gender: Female
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »
Domino has never shown any form of aggression towards humans; he tends to go up to people , sit at their feet & gaze adoringly up at them, waiting for them to pat him. Like-wise he will let me groom & trim him & clean his teeth although he does squeak if I'm a bit heavy-handed getting matts out. ph34r

However he does sometimes bark at strange dogs; I'm almost certain that it's a lack of confidence; he doesn't like a lot of dogs charging up to him & he has been jumped on a couple of times when he's been on the lead so he's a bit wary - most of the time he's fine & I try to distract him with his ball. There have been a couple of dogs that for some reason he has taken exception to which is irritating at the time but, hey, I don't always like everyone I meet on sight!! ;)

He does behave like a spoilt brat when our house-guest, Rooney, comes to stay; most of the time they are quite good friends but they occasionally have spats over attention-seeking & I was mortified when my friend told me that Rooney had a small puncture wound on his back where supposedly Domino had caught him with his tooth; I couldn't remember the exact occasion as they had never had a bad set-to; just a bit of growling & snapping. Needless to say I apologised profusely on Domino's behalf. ph34r

Spike, like most labs, has never shown a moments aggression to either humans or other dogs; cats & rabbits & any other wildlife he finds are another thing though!! :005:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)


Offline crunchie

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 604
  • Gender: Female
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Pringle gets in a right strop if we try to move her from somewhere she doesn't want to be moved from.  She will snap and growl at us, so now we make out that something really exciting is happening if we want her to shift.

She also hates having her feet examined and again will snap and growl at us about this.  She is fine with other dogs, if a bit wary and absolutely loves other people.  It doesn't matter if they come to the house or she sees them out walking she is just full of waggy tails and love.  The only humans she is a bit wary of are small children and she will pull away to avoid them, but has never snapped or growled at one.
Ann and Pringle


Offline debbie321

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2556
  • Gender: Female
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »
This may have to go on a different thread but here goes!

I walked Ben today and we met about 4 other dogs on the way - all was fine ............... even the overly playful saluki was OK ;)  We then trudged over the field to get back to the car when I spotted 2 rottwielers on lead.  I called Ben back and clipped him on the lead - no problem.  The next thing I saw was a man walking what looked like a Ridgeback off lead - he saw the Rotties and did absolutely nothing.  This dog ran very playfully to this man and his dogs ............. all hell broke loose!   The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control  ::)  I'd let Ben back off lead at this point but soon got him back as I worried how he'd react to a huge dog that was out of control  :shades:

If I ever approach dogs on lead then I'll do the same with Ben  :D

Offline Luvly

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2176
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline PennyB

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13844
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2007, 08:16:57 AM »
The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control  ::) 

Because some dog owners think they have a right to let their dogs bound up to whoever --- and of course the rottie owner will get the blame.

I get fed up of hearing 'oh my dog is lovely and just wants to play with them and they shouldn't be walking on the park at all if their dogs don't like other dogs'

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Kimberley

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 835
  • Gender: Female
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »
Yes Coco, shows aggression to people he's not sure of, he'll growl, show his teeth and lunge forward, but not actually grab hold. Also just this morning I had to throw him into a down to correct him, he decided he was going to fight another male dog, which I will not allow.

I think this stems from being with his parents till he was four months old, the couple let Coco's mother come in freely but they held onto the father.  I seem to think the dog was aggressive and Coco was bullied. I'm trying to sort his problems out. He nips with excitement, to get attention or when putting it mildly he's knackered, but he just will not give in I have never seen him settle down for more than half hour max.
Kim is owned by Parker, Annabelle & Barney

Offline Katina

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 907
  • Gender: Female
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
None what so ever.
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline caty

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 261
  • Gender: Male
  • Flyndo
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »
nope mine are Friendly  :luv:

thats Freddi and Bruci meeting some dogs that just bounded over must take my camera with me more often theres a beautiful newfie and Irish wolf hound they play with  :luv:


Oh Luvly, I'm so jealous. I do wish mine were that relaxed around other dogs. :-\

Offline millerman

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 64
  • Gender: Male
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »
we used to have a straight Black Cocker Spaniel, fantastic looking dog, but at 6 mths old he started to become aggresive towards my youngest Daughter 10yrs old, then after a couple of attacks he started on me and my wife, never showed much interest in my other 2 kids both teenagers so did'nt see them that much, either out or in bed!!!.

We had to let him go, he went back to where we got him from and they re-homed him with a farmer, he works him , he can now be a Dog instead of a pet. I understand he has bitten since though.   

Offline mentalcat

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 282
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
I'd have to put Tizzy in the 'i love everyone' category.  The only thing she's ever really barked at was when a hot air balloon flew right over our house, on its way to crash landing in the school field up the road. She woo-wooed for all she was worth and even growled.

But on the whole she loves everything and everyone, even the vets and nurses that were doing horrid things to her when she was nearly dismembered by a GSD as a puppy!

She even still loves German Shepherds! (although probably not that one).

Ali

Offline hulk

  • Site Member
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 22
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »
Never ever. Loves everyone and all dogs. We chose him carefully through the cocker club and socialised him thoroughly as a puppy and have always given treates to get things he steals. no idea is these things made a difference though or if he was always destined to be soppy.

Offline *Theresa*

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4024
  • Gender: Female
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 03:05:19 PM »
This may have to go on a different thread but here goes!

I walked Ben today and we met about 4 other dogs on the way - all was fine ............... even the overly playful saluki was OK ;)  We then trudged over the field to get back to the car when I spotted 2 rottwielers on lead.  I called Ben back and clipped him on the lead - no problem.  The next thing I saw was a man walking what looked like a Ridgeback off lead - he saw the Rotties and did absolutely nothing.  This dog ran very playfully to this man and his dogs ............. all hell broke loose!   The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control  ::)  I'd let Ben back off lead at this point but soon got him back as I worried how he'd react to a huge dog that was out of control  :shades:

If I ever approach dogs on lead then I'll do the same with Ben  :D

Oh God I do try and stick with this rule I promise but If Glen spots the dogs onlead at the same time or before me it all then depends on wether he is in a deaf mood or not. I live in fear of the day he starts a fight by approaching the wrong people buthe is getting better and 9/10 times I can distract him and get him back to me.  :embarassed:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)


Offline patti

  • Site Member
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 47
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
Bailey has been very aggressive.  a long story - see my post ' is this the end for my boy?'.  The vet suggested we put him to sleep in March of this year.  He's just had his 6th birthday.  We are still working very hard to solve this.

Offline helenb

  • Site Member
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 43
  • Maddie
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »
Pringle gets in a right strop if we try to move her from somewhere she doesn't want to be moved from.  She will snap and growl at us, so now we make out that something really exciting is happening if we want her to shift.

She also hates having her feet examined and again will snap and growl at us about this.  She is fine with other dogs, if a bit wary and absolutely loves other people.  It doesn't matter if they come to the house or she sees them out walking she is just full of waggy tails and love.  The only humans she is a bit wary of are small children and she will pull away to avoid them, but has never snapped or growled at one.

Maddie does this too! If she is in a place that she does not want to be moved from she will growl. Occassionally she will growl if she has a bone and then other times she will let you take it off her with no fuss, it tends to be late at night that she growls with the bone. Maddie will growl at one of my sister's dogs when I am telling the other dog to stop jumping up at me, it's as if Maddie is telling the other dog off or she is protecting me.

The rest of the time she is beautiful and let's me look at her teeth, tickle her tummy, play with her feet and ears  :luv:



Offline kate.s

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 581
  • Gender: Female
    • Ghost Tours UK
Re: Does your dog show agression?
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »
Just caught this thread.

Yes Sam can be aggressive and is still guarding things he steals or treats, not his food that I give him.

Last night I gave him a pigs ear after the kids were in bed and he went behind the settee with it but did not eat it. I looked at him to see what he was doing and he started growling and snapping towards me. (I might add that I had not moved off my chair just turned around) I had to wait until he came out to move the pigs ear or he would have sat there growling at me all night.

He is also extremely stressed when people come to the house, especially children. I find this strange as he has always lived with children and has never been abused by them.

I am using a TTouch calming band for the barking and body wrap for the stress but when I do this he just goes in a mood and sulks.

I have ordered a copy of Mine and am considering using some sort of medication to calm him when I am expecting visitors as I am convinced it is fear......any ideas anyone
Love Kate and Sam xxx