Author Topic: 8 mnth old, running back to car  (Read 2419 times)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Re: 8 mnth old, running back to car
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:16:47 PM »
Just remembered something else.  We had to stop feeding her straight after her walk.  We realized that she was connecting the two and rushing back to make dinnertime come sooner.   :005: :005:  Is there something that yours really enjoys that happens immediately after the walk?  :-\ :-\  Sometimes cockers are far too bright for our own good.  :005:

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
I've gone back to basics with her now.  Calling her name and 2 pips of whistle = treat, in the house/garden.   Have also bought a new squeaky toy that is 'only' allowed for walks when she's tried off lead.  I think Marks right, we expect dogs to want to go walking.  So making it fun and rewarding maybe gets overlooked. She is fine physically, had her checked at the vets yesterday and was given a clean bill of health. So, I am hoping that this will help. The problem with going without the car is the limited amount of excercise a youngster should receive, by the time we've walked to the fields, it really is time to turn around. We do walk round the village without the car, but it has to be on lead, and she walks beautifully, I have put a lot of time into her not pulling on the lead, that I've overlooked other areas.

Willow and Katie

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »
hi ,i know im a bit late coming on to this thread,but we have the same problem with biba and i think its a security thing but not sure how to over come it,
she is taken in the car at night and at the weekends for walks but will just decide shes had enough and run back to the car even when she cant see it ,she goes deaf and will not listen to any recall ,
it has started to worry me as we went to her first agility class this weekend and half way through she decided she didnt want to do it anymore and ran out of the field into the second field to find the car,which wasnt there as my oh had dropped me off and gone home,what worried me was after the second field was a busy main road,luckily once she hadnt found the car she started to listen to me and came back,lots of praise and treats for eventually coming back to me,
the reason i think its a security thing is on holiday last week we went to the beach where everything was new too her and we put a small shelter up for her as it was a hot day ,she just kept running back to that all the time,weather we were playing with her or just walking and also when we had finished at the end of the day and had taken the shelter down she was running franticaly around the beach trying to find someone elses to use(and she found a few which were to her liking),we had to put her on the lead in the end to get her off the beach but all the time she was pulling towards people with shelters
sorry about the very long thread ;) ,will try some of your suggestions Mark but any others are most welcome :D