Author Topic: Trimming fur between pads - any hints  (Read 5334 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joelf

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
  • Gender: Female
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »
See.. look at those teeth.. LOOK AT THEM!



So need to get out more....
 :shades:

How gorgeous Dave is, Hannah!! :luv:

I trim Domino's feet about every 7-10 days; when he was a puppy he used to squirm & try & pull away but we persisted & gave him lots of treats throughout & now although he isn't keen on having them done I can usually do them fairly easily.

On the base of his paws I pull the fur away from the pad & snip it around, also taking as much as I can from the bottom of his feet; then I trim around the outside of the foot before putting it down & then gently pushing his toes together which raises the hair between his toes which I then trim away. :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)


Offline *sammy*

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1235
  • Gender: Female
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »
my friend is a qualifies dog groomer so she trims the fur and his nails just a tiny bit everytime we vist (about 1 a week) to get him used to it. he was really good last week so he must be getting used to being messed with :005:


Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
Ah thanks Jo! Good tips there!

Lucky you Fran...!

Note to self: Find a dog groomer and become good chums  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline sabrino

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
  • Gender: Female
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
Oh my Dave, what big teeth you have!

Hannah Dave is such a cutie pie! Obv loves the camera too!

Won't be long till his teeth start dropping out and with it will come a whole host of new problems  ::) Milo has lost his four front teeth and has once again turned into 'a crocodile' trying to get his teeth (or gums, he's now known as 'gummy-bear') around anything and has got reeeaaaallly hyper/mardy. Oh how I long for a sulky teething puppy  :005:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Aearoniel

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 793
  • Gender: Female
  • Callie
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 02:39:15 PM »
Thought I'd update this with some newly founded tips for you Hannah :D

Our scissors arrived this morning and are this set here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-OF-PRO-DOG-GROOMING-SCISSORS-AND-THINNERS_W0QQitemZ170139862946QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I knw they aren't the reccomended size but we thought start small as she is and we'll get bigger ones later when we get bolder.

We tried initially to trim the feet with her stood up, but after taking tiny amounts off and there being lots left we decided to go for the baby cradling method to ensure they were tidied properly this time. So mum held her and foot by foot I cut the hair we cleared the hair on the bottom so it all came level with the pads and trimmed slightly around the edges of the foot just to get her used to it. We did it in four sessions one for each foot, Overall she looks tidy now and the mud brought in is significantly less and hopefully she is more comfortable with it this way. HTH



Offline bluegirl

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5875
  • Gender: Female
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:50 AM »
When Penny was little I'd roll her onto her back and pin her between my legs gently but firmly if you know what I mean. I would hold onto 1 paw until she had finished wriggling and put the other hand on her chest just so she knew I wasn't going to give in. When she relaxed, which didn't take long I would do each paw underneath, then make a big fuss of her when she stood up.
Now with the 3 of them, if I sit on the floor in the kitchen they know it's feet or knots under the pits time and just queue up. They have the same routine for the hair dryer and the grooming table. :D Start
Start your routine early even if you can only manage one or 2 feet ATM their co operation will increase in time.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.


"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »
Tried a bit this weekend but have to confess to giving up.. his biting has reached an all time spectacular this week (after lulling me into a false sonse of security last week  >:D) I've really had enough and am having to time myself out from him at the moment ::) grrrrrr. Meeting Carys & Griffin and Jen and Monty tomorrow so hoping those two will educate him a little in the way of the teeth!!!!!!!!  He's driving me nuts! His toilet trianing is brilliant and he doesn't make a peep at night so guess you can't have everything but THOSE TEETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline lolamum

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 07:26:47 AM »
would some small hand held clippers do the trick for the hair on the feet or would it be better to do scissors? have just looked at my monsters  ph34r feet and there is no way she would sit and let me do her feet. I would be to scared too incase i cut her leg off  :'(

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YEY!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, have 'done' two paws front and back on his right side... he slept all the way through it.... If you would like to do the same just call Griffin and Monty over for a playdate for the afternoon and the result is guaranteed! Might even brave the other side in a minute  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline lolamum

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »
I was just going to start a new post on here. This morning i have just trimmed inbetween Rubys' pads. I was very unsure on using scissors as i did not think that she would stay still. I am a hairdresser and in my kit i have some Palm Pro trimmers by Forfex.They fit into the palm easily and the blade is only an inch wide. They were FANTASTIC  ;) Ruby just stayed there and let me do all inbetween. They cost roughly £10 and can be found on a website called salonsdirect.com.