Author Topic: Murphy's nails  (Read 1025 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Linz13

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2789
  • Gender: Female
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
Murphy's nails
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »
Just looking for some advice re Murphy's nails.

They are getting quite long, and the cocker cuddles that he pounces with are getting a wee tig sore sometimes.  I've got nail clippers and just can't bring myself to use them. I tried 2 wks ago and he cried, I wasn't doing them far from the tip so I lknow I wasn't too far up.  I got an awful fright and don't want to try again.

Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline spanielcrazy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4446
Re: Murphy's nails
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 12:02:46 AM »
If you are really uneasy doing it yourself most groomers and vets will trim nails for a very small fee.

Otherwise, have a look at these:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/dog_nails.asp         (very good photos of nails, but the restraint techniques I would save for a dog who really objects. You can do this with the dog facing you and holding the foot. I do agree it is much easier with the dog on a table)

This site has a video on it: http://video.about.com/dogs/Clipping-nails.htm  (I haven't seen it myself, too hard to watch videos on my computer  :-\ >:()
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne


Cazzie

  • Guest
Re: Murphy's nails
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:41 AM »
Im a bit iffy doing them too  ph34r especially if they are black, id get the vet to do them or a groomer if you are apprehensive as one wrong cut and by golly he will never let you near them again  >:( ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4446
Re: Murphy's nails
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:32:26 AM »
For dogs with black nails: If you look closely at the the 4th photo from the bottom (with the two nails side by side), you will see some roughness just behind the yellow line that has been drawn to show where to clip.

All black nailed dogs have some roughness or very tiny ridges (look like tiny scrapes or like part of the nail has been roughly sanded, Some dogs even have a visible tan or grey line) This is where the quick is. The tips of the nail are smooth. As long as you cut only the smooth tips and stay out of this "rough area" you should be ok.  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne