Author Topic: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?  (Read 2171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jan/Billy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5187
  • Gender: Female
Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
When I brush Billy's ears I sometimes notice a bit of flakiness around the actual end on the ear. I presumed it was just dried dirt & mud & usually just brush it out. However today whilst brushing his ears he was making noises and really enjoying the brush. His back leg started going in excitement when i got to the ends. I soon realised that the more I brushed the more flakes appeared  :o I don't think it's dirt i think it's very flaky skin  :-\

He's had this once before, his groomer said it was a kind of fungus caused by wet ears. I think it's come back only this time it looks quite bad & he loves having it itched.The skin near the ends looks very flaky  :-\


How can I get rid of this? I have some seleen shampoo will that help?  :huh:



Offline bonnie blue

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 196
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
Hi i am glad to hear that this is quite a common problem Maisie had it last year it was horrid and the smell was yuk I used Masleb from vet but i suppose and anti bacterial shampoo will do the trick there was another thread about it too .Hope you get on ok and your little ones ears clear up  ;)
Owned by Molly and Poppy and never ever forgetting Maisie at the bridge x

Offline Jan/Billy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5187
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
thanks. His ears are wet every day so i hope it's not going to be difficult to get rid of it.

How long did it take for yours to go away?  :huh:



Offline PennyB

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13844
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:43:20 AM »
I have same problem as well sometimes (always Wilf and never Ruby ::)) --- doesn't take long to rectify once you start using the malasseb
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AnnieG

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 988
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »
I found that Head and Shoulders works just as well as Malaseb on the milder cases and is a lot cheaper.  You need to dilute it first, though.  My old vet says that some of the really pricy anti-flakiness/dandruff shampoo sold by vets is chemically just the same as Head and Shoulders (or Bonce and Paw as it is known in this household).  :005: :005:

Offline Beth

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4270
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
I use lush's "soak 'n' float" anti dandruff/anti fungal shampoo bar, it smells like tar but sorts Jarvis' ears out. (He gets flakey all the time ::) but this stuff keeps it at bay for longer than anything else i've tried.) A good thing about lush is alot of the ingredients are natural too. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline AnnieM

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2017
  • Gender: Female
  • Jazmin
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:25:10 PM »
Like I really need another excuse to go into Lush.  :005:  I already spend far too much money in that shop.  ::)

I hope you manage to sort out Billy ears.  ;)

        **DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Beth

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4270
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
Like I really need another excuse to go into Lush.  :005:  I already spend far too much money in that shop.  ::)

I never go in myself anymore, i have to send other people in with a list for me, ph34r if i go in i come back out with a shed load of stuff and no money left! :005:

I really do recommend that shampoo for whiffy ears though ;) :lol:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Dessie

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1333
  • Gender: Female
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »
When I brush Billy's ears I sometimes notice a bit of flakiness around the actual end on the ear. I presumed it was just dried dirt & mud & usually just brush it out. However today whilst brushing his ears he was making noises and really enjoying the brush. His back leg started going in excitement when i got to the ends. I soon realised that the more I brushed the more flakes appeared  :o I don't think it's dirt i think it's very flaky skin  :-\

He's had this once before, his groomer said it was a kind of fungus caused by wet ears. I think it's come back only this time it looks quite bad & he loves having it itched.The skin near the ends looks very flaky  :-\

How can I get rid of this? I have some seleen shampoo will that help?  :huh:

Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands


Offline BigJim&Kate

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 571
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie

Hi Dessie,

The Ekoneem cream, could you tell me where you got it from please? Bails suffers from this quite frequently

Many thanks
Kate
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Jan/Billy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5187
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:02:11 PM »
Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie


Yes I'd like to know too please Dessie

cheers  :D

Hi Dessie,

The Ekoneem cream, could you tell me where you got it from please? Bails suffers from this quite frequently

Many thanks
Kate