Author Topic: most popular colour?  (Read 6964 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
most popular colour?
« on: September 01, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »
what is the most popular colour of cocker spaniels and which is the rarest?
i'm just intrested to know as there seems to be many more  blue roans than any other colour.
can anyone explein this?

thank you :D

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: most popular colour?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
As far as I know, the reason you see more blue roans and blacks is because the other colours such as solid red or orange particolours and the liver variations also tan markings are reccessive genes so both parents have to carry them for them to be expressed  :blink:.

Cayley.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
that's sort of what i was thinking :D

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:24:42 PM »
In France the most popular colour is golden (and blue). You will see very few blacks in the streets.

But at shows, there are often more black cockers than golden ones.

Black and blue are also easier colours to breed with.  ;)
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
I like the lemon's but didn't see a puppy when I was looking from a line I liked.  No idea what the rarest colours would be but not sure I'd want one because they get targeted by thieves.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:52 AM »
Alot of people say 'ohh, I didn't know you could get brown ones'  :o So they are rere around here  :005:

I don't know if it's a working/show thing but when we were looking for Wherry we didn't come across and Reds and I've never seen one out and about . We were after a solid black and the litters we looked at saw one golden, blacks, choccys and black/choccy and white. There were alot of blue and liver roans available too but I never saw any lemons. But that's just personal experience, not based on anything else.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:39:57 AM »
I really wanted a sable one, but I couldn't find any. My girl has a sable father, and of course some siblings. But I am more than happy with her beautiful red colour.
But maybe the sable colour is not accepted in shows since there are so few?

Offline Phaedra

• Site Member
    • Blue Runes Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »
Here in Sweden, blue and black are the most common colours among show cockers. When it comes to working cockers, liver seems to be most common, although this is based upon my experience not statistics. I have seen liver, golden (red with brown pigment), black, liver roan, liver and white and blue roan working cockers. I do not thing there are any sables among working cockers.

Then - among show cockers - the most POPULAR colour seem to be anything but blue roan! Since I plan to breed from my bitches (both blues) and am NOT going to have colour as one of the things that will be taken into consideration when I choose sires, I am a bit concerned about how 'important' colour seem to be for many persons who are interested in the breed. One could think that temperament, type and how well the dogs have done in the ring or in other doggy activities would be more important, but in the majority of cases this does not seem to be the fact.

If you breed livers, sables, black & tans or any other 'rare' or popular colour, you seem to have much more interest in the combination no matter the merits or health stats of the parents. One can understand that breeders sometimes prefer to mate their bitch to a dog of popular colour and not as good record compared to one of common colour and better merits.

I myself have never had anything but blue roans, but it is beacause that the dogs that have come my way all have happened to be blues. Of course I would like to have something different one day - mabye a red (my favourite colour), or an orange or a black. But still, I do think that colour is something that will make a GOOD dog a tiny bit better - it is a bonus. I will never make a bad dog good!

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
As far as I know, the reason you see more blue roans and blacks is because the other colours such as solid red or orange particolours and the liver variations also tan markings are reccessive genes so both parents have to carry them for them to be expressed  :blink:.

So does that mean that you have to have two solid parents to produce a solid pup, whereas you could have a solid mum and coloured dad and get a blue roan??
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:28:05 PM »

So does that mean that you have to have two solid parents to produce a solid pup, whereas you could have a solid mum and coloured dad and get a blue roan??

In simple ish terms, it works like so.

Solid to solid can produce solids and particolours depending on the genes carried
Solid to parti can produce solids and particolours depending on the genes carried (this type of mating usually causes mismarks)
Parti to Parti can only produce partis even if one or both parents carries a solid colour gene.
Cayley.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
oh my goodness i find this all very confusing.  :005: ph34r

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »
coco..
here is a lemon and white working cocker  Tanner, with her daughter, my pepper.