Author Topic: Vaccinations and going outside  (Read 2506 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LurcherGirl

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1744
  • Gender: Female
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Vaccinations and going outside
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 12:04:02 PM »
Well we went down to the vets last night, and were sent home, vaccination-less. The vet said that we should wait until she's closer to 11 weeks old as she'll get more immunity from the vaccinations then. I'd never heard of this before, I was more concerned about the immunity from the initial vaccinations wearing off, but he said this won't happen before she gets her boosters next week. So we'll have to traipse back next week to get them now. I trust this vet as my family have been going to him for years, and another vet in his practice was so good to Heidi when she picked up her infection.

At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

Puppies are protected by their mum's immunity (provided that she was vaccinated) until about 11 or 12 weeks old. Vaccinations given before that can be neutralised due to the already present immunity. That's why a puppy should get the last vaccinated not much earlier than 11 or 12 weeks to make sure that he is fully protected.
So your vet is right.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10276
  • Gender: Female
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Vaccinations and going outside
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »
At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

You can take her out and about like this before her vaccines - in fact, it is to be encouraged  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club


Offline Heidi

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Gender: Female
Re: Vaccinations and going outside
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

You can take her out and about like this before her vaccines - in fact, it is to be encouraged  :D

I think you're right IWLass. There were dogs at the vets barking and making noise and when I brought her home and we were playing in the garden, she was much more aware of the neighbourhood dogs barking than she had been. Almost as though she suddenly associated the noise with dogs, if you know what I mean?  :-\ I'll definitely bring her out and about for little "walks" in the meantime! :D