Author Topic: A mile stone :)  (Read 1937 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
A mile stone :)
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
I had SUCH a great day today and I wanted to share with people that will truly understand  ;)

I've mentioned before that I'm not that keen on puppies (or babies  :D), but I do like the chance of knowing your canine family member from the word go...

This summer hols has been a bit grueling for my son Tom as the weather has obviously been hideous and we've been stuck at home a lot because of Dave's age. Today however, it was all worth it.. Tom started school properly at our village school yesterday (although he's been going to the pre-school nursery there since he was two and loves it so it was no big deal for him really.. didn't stop me getting all emotional and overwhelmed though!). I got to watch their first assembly today and he got to shake hands with the head mistresses and got a certificate for starting his first week at proper school so well  :luv: :luv: Dave has been trotting up to school on the school runs with us and has been just fantastic.. he is SO easy to have around, I can take him anywhere (which I certainly couldn't do with my last nutcase cocker  :005:) he's just seriously chilled out for a pup but seems very bright and willing to learn, what a gift! He's starting to walk to heal (thanks to our fantastic puppy classes) and looking up at me from time to time as he trots along and this afternoon Tom bought a friend back for tea and all of us were in the garden without Dave biting or chasing the boys.. I did actually shed a tear as we've worked so hard to get him to this and it's been very frustrating for my son (and me) at times but they were all brilliant together. If Dave got frisky the boys stood statue still and I called Dave who came zooming straight back to me and the boys really enjoyed him and he had such a great time playing 'with' them rather than attacking them! It feels like such a fitting end to a summer that started so horribly with the death of our last cocker and I feel sooooooo so lucky... why are they just such fabulous little dogs?

I just feel like we've passed a mile stone now, have really good foundations down and can look forward to soooo many great times in the weeks and months ahead with our new chum  :luv:

Sorry for going on but you guys just 'get it' so I felt the need to tell you all!

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline ruby ruby doo

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 383
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
Been reading about your journey with interest Hannah.. you always manage to find the positive in most situations..thought of you when inspired to try the rucksack tactics...Rub not impressed!   Glad Dave is starting to settle so well ..you are obviously getting so much joy from him..which you deserve after picking yourself up and going for it after so sadly losing your beloved trevor...so young..
Great that your son is having a positive time with dave now..my kids start to moan about the walks but you should have seen my daughter trailblazing on her heather path she discovered up the woods..this morning...Feeling so contented strolling through the woods with my very well behaved puppy...! :luv:
  Gloating however, perhaps a little premature!...Taking ruby round the block she bit me really really hard when i went to extract her lead from her mouth! Blood everywhere when all my previous wounds had healed! However she is worth all the aggro as she too is gelling better with the kids since the walks commenced! :D
jo & ruby =)

Offline Penelope

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2907
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »
I am so pleased all is coming together.  It is such fun isn't it?
Cockers are the best (well, so are Saluki crosses and Springer labrador crosses, but cockers are very very special) :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline september

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1024
  • Gender: Female
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:44 PM »
Ah that sounds so nice! I wish Roxy would walk nicely! Everything is just too exciting! she has to investigate!

Oh well, more effort in training needed methinks!

Offline *sammy*

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1235
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
your post has really made me smile. it's obvious you really love having dave around. i'm glad you had a good end to your summer.
my son started reception yesterday, he was not a tiny bit bothered although i was when i realised everyone in his class is about a foot taller than him :005:
i love taking sam up to school (even though dogs are not allowed :005:) connor gets really excited when sams picks him up it's great to see.
losing trevor must have been extremely difficult for you :'(, i'm so pleased dave is making you happy now, even though he'll obviously never replace him.


Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »
Ah that sounds so nice! I wish Roxy would walk nicely! Everything is just too exciting! she has to investigate!

Oh well, more effort in training needed methinks!

Heh heh.. Suspect Roxy is just normal! The honest truth is I think I have been blessed with a seriously lazy pup  :005: My last cocker was NEVER this easy (but didn't bite as much I have to say!) Watching him in comparison to other pups - cocker and otherwise at puppy classes, it is very evident that on the whole, Dave likes to let life come to him. I'm just hoping he's going to have enough 'botheredness' for big walks when he grows up or we're in serious trouble! It's one thing carrying him now but there is no way I'm lugging him around when he's a fully grown cocker!  :005: :005:

Have posted on your 'joyous moment' ruby doo - only just seen it... wondering if school has something to do with all this, or it's just thanks to a bit of autumn sunshine!!

We're so lucky we can take our dogs up to school Sammy, I know it's not allowed at lots of schools, having said that it's a really tiny village school and people with boisterous dogs tend not to take them so we're lucky in that we don't get any complaints or cause for concern really (hide him under your coat, they'll never know  ;))

You're right Penny the feeling you get when it starts to 'work' after all that hard work, really is bloomin' 'fun'!

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Boof

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5408
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:27 PM »
Well done Dave.  :luv: :luv:

Offline cdpops

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5636
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »
What a great story to share. Thanks you have lifted my spirits. :D

Offline JasperPop

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Jagger
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »
I am soo pleased it is going so well for you at last!!!  My middle child started reception this week too, and I think it has made Jagger a bit more chilled out in the day time at least  :005:  Certainly made me a bit more chilled out to have my bickering lot seperated haha


Go Dave  :angel:



Offline JenSam

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2358
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
Love your story.  Glad you are having so much fun with Dave the  :angel:

 :luv: :luv:
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline nikkij

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 347
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »
Well Done Dave and good for you Hannah  :D  I too have been following Dave's story  as I got Alfie at a simiilar time who is also mostly chilled out until we get to puppy class when he turns into a complete bonkers dog and ignores everything that comes out of my mouth!  ::)  Glad it is all coming together for you...Dave is  :luv:
Nikki and Alfie X

Offline jakesmum

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »
Awwwww, what a fab story, now I feel all emotional too.

My wee Jakey is not quite 11 weeks and I only got him last Saturday so am currently going through the "acting like a loony and biting everything in sight - especially me" phase. I'm covered in scratches and crying "ouch" when he bites me just seems to make him bite me more...he thinks it's a hugely funny game.

I'm hoping to start puppy classes over the next few weeks and can take him out for his first walk tomorrow so I'm hoping this will calm him down a touch, but it's good to hear that the phase will pass and that I haven't gotten myself a little devil (I'm sure I haven't - he's totally adorable and I'm totally besotted with him...but he's a real boy rascal!).  >:D



Offline Heidi

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 09:57:11 AM »
Well done to you and Dave (and to the two kids for helping to train him as well! :D).



Offline Vino tinto !

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 10:05:29 AM »
I have loved reading about Dave ! He is one of my favourites  :luv:   When Tilly chose us, I so hoped she would be like him and blow me down she is !! Laid back,brave,good at toiletting outside already ! After only a week with us,luckily I am at home all day,so I do thinks that helps to settle her in well. She seemed to walk into  our home and thought,nice place,nice people. I'll stay !!! We adore her and she us.We are so lucky too. Glad Dave has made you happy   :angel:    xx

Offline Joelf

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
  • Gender: Female
Re: A mile stone :)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
What a lovely post, Hannah!!

Dave sounds like he will grow into the perfect companion for you & Tom.

May you have many years of pleasure with him!! :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)