Author Topic: Buying a puppy  (Read 1306 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Chellejm

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 354
  • Gender: Female
Buying a puppy
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:27:29 PM »
I have contacted some local breeders that are listed on the Kennel Club website about litters available and had had quite a few replies.  :D
One breeder Emailed back with pictures of the puppies which were lovely - but looked familiar.

After checking I found where I had seen the pictures, the Free Ad pages  :-\

Am I right in thinking if the breeder is advertising here then I should steer clear or do some reputable breeders of KC registered dogs advertise?  :huh:

Thanks in Advance x
The Herbster!!




Offline Cayley

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1547
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:48:01 PM »
You're right to steer clear of the free ads. 

I personally think you get a much clearer idea of a breeder if you ring them and speak directly, with e-mail there is no audible emotion so you can't tell if they ummed and arred before they knew the answer to a question such as are the parents Optigen tested.
Cayley.

Offline Boof

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5408
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:11:18 PM »
Not all litters advertised by the KC are reputable, so exercise caution.  :blink: Definitely steer clear of the ads, I'm not saying that dogs bought from them are nasty, just that it ISN'T a recommended way of buying a puppy.

Have you contacted your local breed club?

Good luck in your search. x

Offline Chellejm

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 354
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:05:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies, my husbang agrees that we should give this breeder a 'wide berth', we might be being overly cautious but I'm not willing to risk it :-\

We are are still in contact with 2 other breeders so fingers crossed we may be coming to the end of our search soon :)
 
Are there any questions that I can ask that will give away an 'unreputable breeder' or is it just going with my gut instincts?


The Herbster!!




Offline Teisen_bach

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 329
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
I think 1 quite good way to tell is a good breeder will ask YOU loads of questions....they will want to know all about the kind of home your going to be-able to offer one of there pups  ;)

Good luck  :blink:
Hugs from Jue & Teisen bach xx

Offline happydog

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3427
  • Gender: Female
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:13:25 PM »
Are there any questions that I can ask that will give away an 'unreputable breeder' or is it just going with my gut instincts?
Just in case you haven't read these threads.
Thought they might help.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2019.0

Jools Story
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=12047.0

Good luck with your search. I agree about the Free Ads  ;)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Chellejm

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 354
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »
Thanks all :)
Off to read those threads, thank you 'Happydog'
Glad no one thinks we're being silly for not entertaining the advertised pups :D

One of the breeders is going to ring me tomorrow so no doubt I'm going to be asked lots of questions, fingers crossed they'll think we're suitable!

Very nervous
The Herbster!!




Offline Coco

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2512
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »
I've just had this same problem and the breeder is supposedly one of the best in the working world  :huh: . I've said no too. It's so difficult isn't it?! Good luck  :-*
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Chellejm

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 354
  • Gender: Female
Re: Buying a puppy
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »
I've just had this same problem and the breeder is supposedly one of the best in the working world  :huh: . I've said no too. It's so difficult isn't it?! Good luck  :-*
Thanks :)

I'm beginning to think all the breeders are less than reputable :(
I know from others experiences though that there's hope :D
The Herbster!!