Author Topic: Shedding hair constantly!  (Read 2131 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dmulally

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 316
  • Gender: Male
Shedding hair constantly!
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
Hi All,

Little Rommel is shedding hair constantly. I have got him a coat king which he loves and I have got rid of so much hair that he is a puppy again, but he is still leaving hair everywhere. I brush him constantly which gets rid of a whole heap of hair but it seems never ending.

I have heard that he is losing his puppy fur and also that he is shedding his winter coat. I have no idea if these are fair dinkum or not.

Is it possible for a cocker to shed hair like that for the rest of his life? Id love to have him up on the couch and on the bed with me again but he leaves a big mess every time he does and I am constantly having to wash everything that he touches!

lucky he has looks.

Cheers

Damian

Offline Sheryl

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7164
  • Gender: Female
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:12:58 AM »
I am not sure about other dogs but Kali leaves hair everywhere she goes :-\  I have a cupboard full of sticky rollers!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Cass

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 76
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
Same here, Cassie is a black cocker and leaves hair everywhere, even though she is brushed daily........no way I could allow her on beds or couches. :shades:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »
Ya see... this is sooooooooooo confusing me. Trev my golden cocker had an incredibly thick coat but there was hardly any hair around the house so because of this I thought cockers didn't shed  ph34r

Dave (blue roan) is definately leaving a bit about at the moment and he's only 17 weeks old...... am I in for years of a hairy house now too??? Are they ALL different and do their own thing?

Hannah x


Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline spanielcrazy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4446
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:30:56 AM »
How old is Rommel again?  The changeover from puppy coat to adult coat (usually somehwere between 7-12 months) is generally the worst, although cockers do shed fairly regularly. Some of it is seasonal, fall and spring and some of it is year round  ::)

I do notice that a lot of my customers at the grooming shop say that their dogs, and cats too, are shedding this year heavier than normal, but I'm not really sure why this is :huh:

am I in for years of a hairy house now too??? Are they ALL different and do their own thing?


Yes, and yes  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne


Offline heelers n cockers

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 399
  • Gender: Female
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »
Freddy is a constant shedder! he is a very light choc/liver roan  :luv: wheras Fudge doesnt seem to shed at all! he is a solid gold but freddy is handstripped and Fudge has to be clipped as he is a hairy monster otherwise!  :005:
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline dmulally

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 316
  • Gender: Male
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
Rommel is just gone 6 months. He never used to shed even one hair until about 2 months ago and now its hair town, population one...Rommel.

I have used the coat king quite a few times and it seems to be helping but I notice that his hairy legs dont seem to work well with the coat king. Nor does it on the hair on his fat little belly.

I might get the little b***** clipped me thinks. Don't know what he will think about that though. He is such a pretty boy...

Cheers

Damian

Offline Luvly

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2176
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »
  :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline LurcherGirl

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1744
  • Gender: Female
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Shedding hair constantly!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
What sort of food are you feeding? Excessive shedding can be caused by diet.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk