Author Topic: Feathering  (Read 1348 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Trischie

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Gender: Female
Feathering
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »
Hi All!

the days are getting wetter and the paths are getting muddier. Every day, after every walk, Oscar comes back with thick knots of mud stuck and dried to his feathering - especially on his front legs. They look like dreadlocks - all caked in.

How can we survive the winter? After every walk I think, Chris, just get the clippers to him. A friend has got a springer which she completely clippers every now and again for the same reason.

How can I keep him looking like a cocker but make him less like a mud-magnet?

Should I just thin the feathering as much as possible, or cut it really short, but so that it's still cockery?

Thanks for your help.

Love Chris & dreadlock Oscar


Offline spanielcrazy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4446
Re: Feathering
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:13:23 PM »
You can both thin it out and cut some length off if you like, that will help

On the front leg feathering point the thinning shears toward the rear of the dog, make a cut, slicker it out and move down the leg. Keep repeating till you get what you want. Be sure to do both the inside and the outside of the leg. Then cut the feathering to the length you want, when you get to the high pad on the back of the leg, angle the scissors in toward the back of his foot.

On the hind legs you can trim the stuff on the back of his hocks pretty short, then "raise his skirt" by trimming it.

Belly feathering you can just shorten up with a straight scissors. Ditto for ears, if you choose.

One thing that helps is to use the clippers with the number 10 blade to clean out his groin area and armpits
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne


Offline Trischie

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Gender: Female
Re: Feathering
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the help.

When you say "point the trimming shears toward the rear of the dog", am I holding the scissors horizontally at the side of his leg? Just to make sure I understood right.

Definately less dramatic than shaving him completely!


Offline spanielcrazy

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4446
Re: Feathering
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
When you say "point the trimming shears toward the rear of the dog", am I holding the scissors horizontally at the side of his leg?

Either horizontal or at a downward angle, depending on which way the hair grows. 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne


Offline Trischie

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Gender: Female
Re: Feathering
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
I've done his front legs now and he's looking good! Did all his paws and stuff like that too - definately a lot tidier than yesterday and still very cockery.

I'll give him a break for today and do his back legs tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

No more mud-magnet now!