Author Topic: why docking  (Read 1441 times)

kobi

why docking
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
We are new to this breed of dog, we have had other dogs 1st one was a cross red setter/golden retriever(stunning), 2nd one was a collie had to be re homed and the 3rd one we took on from a year old also had to re homed so number 4 is a working cocker spaniel so we are learning about the breed and so far very impressed, this col is very informative a lot of useful info.
Why do cockers have there tails docked when we got ours we were told they have to be docked by 3 days old but our cocker has a long tail although we were told he has had his done his brother lives round the corner and he has had his done he has a little stump i have nothing against docking but i wouldn't put ours through unnecessary pain now, would his long tail potentially stop him from being shown or being used as a working dog, i have a theory why the tail is docked but would be intrested in any other view's.
Regards Alan

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: why docking
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
Hi Alan

There are loads of threads on docking etc - especially with the newish ban on docking (do a search and I'm sure you'll find loads of informative info  ;) )

Others with more knowledge on this subject I'm sure will be along shortly  ;)

tbh I haven't taken much notice of the docking issues, the ban came in to effect end of April this year, any litter of pups after this date can't be docked in Scotland but working cockers in England can be (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I have 2 working cockers one is docked (21 months old) and the other (6 months old) is not docked

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
Docking is a fairly controversial issue but if you do a search there are some old threads on it. It is now illegal in England and Wales to dock any dog which is not going to be used for working. There is a list of breeds, including cockers, which the 'working exemption' can apply to provided the criteria set out by DEFRA are met. In Scotland it's now illegal to dock any dog full stop regardless of breed and working status. Working cockers were/are traditionally given a longer dock than show type cockers with only the last third of the tail removed. It was done to prevent tail injuries when they were working in the field. I have 3 working cockers, 2 of whom work and 1 which is being trained and one of them has a full, undocked tail, one has a 'proper' long working dock and the other has a too-short dock for a worker. She is a rescue so I don't know her background or where or why she was docked so short.

I'm not sure why your dog would be undocked whereas his brother is docked short, and also badly by the sounds of it - a working cocker should never be left with just a very short stump. Are they littermates or are they 'brothers' but from different litters?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

kobi

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi Nicola
           They are from the same litter and his brother has about 3 inches of tail is that to short, were has our dog has a full tail but was told it also had been docked
regards alan

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:27:01 PM »
Good question, I know the theories why workers were docked but why show cockers? or is it that cockers as a whole are a working breed  :-\ Something im not gen clued up on  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
Hi Nicola
           They are from the same litter and his brother has about 3 inches of tail is that to short, were has our dog has a full tail but was told it also had been docked
regards alan

If they're working cockers then 3 inches is too short. A 'full tail' means completely undocked. Who told you your dog had been docked? It's possible that your dog may just have had the end joint removed from his if it still appears that he has a full tail but I'd be at a loss as to why two dogs from the same litter would be docked so differently.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:58:01 PM »
There are a number of threads going into docking and is it is now largely an academic discussion, I'm going to lock this thread as I feel the question has been answered.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional