Author Topic: healthy pets insurance?  (Read 14485 times)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
Re: healthy pets insurance?
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »
I currently have MIL boxer on Petplan (yes we still pay it, long story) and we figured it wasnt worth swapping her to healthy pets as they wanted £23.50 a month and we pay £28.50 for her but there would be exclusions on her policy if we moved her as she has been to the vets in the last year.

Pet plan are more and the excess is paid for the first (in Hattie's case) £80 of each condition each year but I think they cover more.  She is on a good plan but Jaggers was £25 per month with them and I can get Molly and Jagger together for half that with healthy pets so they are moving  ;)

It really is a bit of a nightmare i know, which is why whenever i hear of a plan that might be better/more cost effective, i get a quote for Lucy. I'm lucky though in that Lucy has no exclusions at present.

Have you looked at Halifax pet insurance? the xtra plan seems to be more comprehensive than most. I tried getting a quote online but it advised me to ring their hotline??? mabe the cost is so hi you need one to one counselling :lol:

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »
Have any current Healthy Pets customers successfully claimed for alternative treatments?
This is one of the bits of their policy that puts me off -  it states that not only do the treatments have to be recommended by a vet, but they also have to be "approved" by the Insurance Company - which suggests that they may not pay for the treatment  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
I currently have MIL boxer on Petplan (yes we still pay it, long story) and we figured it wasnt worth swapping her to healthy pets as they wanted £23.50 a month and we pay £28.50 for her but there would be exclusions on her policy if we moved her as she has been to the vets in the last year.

Pet plan are more and the excess is paid for the first (in Hattie's case) £80 of each condition each year but I think they cover more.  She is on a good plan but Jaggers was £25 per month with them and I can get Molly and Jagger together for half that with healthy pets so they are moving  ;)

It really is a bit of a nightmare i know, which is why whenever i hear of a plan that might be better/more cost effective, i get a quote for Lucy. I'm lucky though in that Lucy has no exclusions at present.

Have you looked at Halifax pet insurance? the xtra plan seems to be more comprehensive than most. I tried getting a quote online but it advised me to ring their hotline??? mabe the cost is so hi you need one to one counselling :lol:

HAHAHAHAHA you might be right!  I have signed up with healthy pets, just waiting to examine the policy docs before i cancel the other plans  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »
I have noticed that you have brought this up a few times Rachel,  a standard household policy does provide liability cover - whilst I cannot speak for absolutely every single policy that is issued, I havent actually come across one that DOESNT include it  ;)  Indeed my firm have looked into a fair few dog bites just recently, of varying types and circumstances.

I checked with our insurers, and was told that our policy is restricted to liability for incident that take place in our home and garden; it does not cover liability for my dog in any public place.... :huh:  Perhaps my home insurance is unusual - but surely it is better to check?   :huh:

I agree it is better to check

Sorry to labour the point but I have now double checked - you know when you have a niggly feeling.  I have checked my own policy and have checked one other standard household policy wording. 

Basically, under the Personal and Public Liability section an insurer will indemnify you/any member of your household if you become , legally liable to pay as compensation for accidental death, bodily injury, illness or disease of any person, or accidental damage to material property occurring during any period of insurance arising:
b in a personal capacity  occurring in Great Britain,Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands, and
Elsewhere in the world during a temporary visit.  We will pay up to £2,000,000 in connection with any one incident or
series of incidents arising out of one event.

The general restrictions relating to dogs are ;-

iii animals, except domestic pets other
than those listed in the Dangerous
Dogs Act 1991

That's interesting, is that contents insurance? :huh: If it is i might have to set some up (i have no insurance of any sort ph34r)

It will be on a contents policy Beth - you should really have contents cover, it isnt just for theft - some people think that they havent got anything worth stealing   unfortunately, fire nor water are selective in what they damage  ;)

I dont know, mine is buildings and contents.  Best thing is to get your policy out and look to see if you have legal cover.  Most have it I think, but you need to check if it covers you for your pets too.  Also read that you need to make sure you never admit responsibility or liability or offer to cover anything.  ::)

Legal expense cover is an entirely different kettle of fish, it is Liability cover that would come into force in such circumstances, although I would add that the legal cover IS worth having for the nominal amount involved

Thanks for that Michelle. I'll look into it. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »
I have noticed that you have brought this up a few times Rachel,  a standard household policy does provide liability cover - whilst I cannot speak for absolutely every single policy that is issued, I havent actually come across one that DOESNT include it  ;)  Indeed my firm have looked into a fair few dog bites just recently, of varying types and circumstances.

I checked with our insurers, and was told that our policy is restricted to liability for incident that take place in our home and garden; it does not cover liability for my dog in any public place.... :huh:  Perhaps my home insurance is unusual - but surely it is better to check?   :huh:

I agree it is better to check

Sorry to labour the point but I have now double checked - you know when you have a niggly feeling.  I have checked my own policy and have checked one other standard household policy wording. 

Basically, under the Personal and Public Liability section an insurer will indemnify you/any member of your household if you become , legally liable to pay as compensation for accidental death, bodily injury, illness or disease of any person, or accidental damage to material property occurring during any period of insurance arising:
b in a personal capacity  occurring in Great Britain,Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands, and
Elsewhere in the world during a temporary visit.  We will pay up to £2,000,000 in connection with any one incident or
series of incidents arising out of one event.

The general restrictions relating to dogs are ;-

iii animals, except domestic pets other
than those listed in the Dangerous
Dogs Act 1991

That's interesting, is that contents insurance? :huh: If it is i might have to set some up (i have no insurance of any sort ph34r)

It will be on a contents policy Beth - you should really have contents cover, it isnt just for theft - some people think that they havent got anything worth stealing   unfortunately, fire nor water are selective in what they damage  ;)

I dont know, mine is buildings and contents.  Best thing is to get your policy out and look to see if you have legal cover.  Most have it I think, but you need to check if it covers you for your pets too.  Also read that you need to make sure you never admit responsibility or liability or offer to cover anything.  ::)

Legal expense cover is an entirely different kettle of fish, it is Liability cover that would come into force in such circumstances, although I would add that the legal cover IS worth having for the nominal amount involved

Thanks for that Michelle. I'll look into it. :D

Havent a clue what their rates are like but you may like to try LV.com - they have just started heavily advertising (around here anyway) and that usually means that the rates are quite good.   They aren't likely to show up on a price comparison website so they are worth a try  ;)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »
Gosh, this time of stuff just has ben in cercles. I hate it. >:(

Fortunately I have my dad to help with this kind of thing. He understands it all. Whereas I struggle.
We looked around at the time (just as Marlee's 6wks puppy cover was about to come to an end) for a few days at about ten different pet insurers.

Marlee is with "Buddies" - Gold Cover. Is anyone with them?
We got a good deal at the time, price-wise, as they are associated with our vets - or something.
http://www.buddies.co.uk/

The first year will be up at Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone thinks there's a better one than Buddies? Or should I stick with what I have?

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
Gosh, this time of stuff just has ben in cercles. I hate it. >:(

Fortunately I have my dad to help with this kind of thing. He understands it all. Whereas I struggle.
We looked around at the time (just as Marlee's 6wks puppy cover was about to come to an end) for a few days at about ten different pet insurers.

Marlee is with "Buddies" - Gold Cover. Is anyone with them?
We got a good deal at the time, price-wise, as they are associated with our vets - or something.
http://www.buddies.co.uk/

The first year will be up at Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone thinks there's a better one than Buddies? Or should I stick with what I have?

I just got an oline quote for Lucy - £141.12 (£11.76 month) the gold plan cover is virtually the same as healthy pets gold plan but i wont be changing as Healthy pets only charge me £73.80 (£6.15 month) for the same cover ;)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
I too have just done a quick online quote and for one of mine it would be £18.81 per month - I think for both of mine I am paying about £22 or £23.  They are underwritten by a company called Fortis who I have had good dealings with in the past. 

My only concern is the spooky picture that is on their website the last dog looks really odd as does the 3rd to last dog  :005: :005: 

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
Just got an online quote for Fern with Buddies. The Gold Option, which is much the same as the Healthy Pets one would be £322.91. I currently pay £164 to Healthy Pets.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »
Woah.
Must admit, before reading this thread, I'd not heard of Heathly Pets.

Spme of you say is much the same. I think I shall have a look then :D

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm with healthy pets and have been for several years now. I've never had to claim (touch wood) and I pay about £7 per month per dog.

OH works in a solicitors and you would be shocked to hear the amount of costs involved with dog bites :o
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
I did a fair bit of research before getting Ben and really wanted him insured the day we collected him.  Healthy Pets was the best cover for the monthly outlay - most importantly it was ongoing cover (and the company was fairly local with a friendly voice at the end of the phone).  That was 3 years ago and I have claimed more than I've ever paid for Ben ............. each claim has been dealt with within 2-3 weeks without question.  I included my cats about 18 months ago and haven't claimed for them yet but would expect them to be just as good. 

I'm aware that they don't cover behaviour training, dental work (other than accident) and treatment that isn't recommended by a qualified vet.  I'm still happy with them and don't intend to shop around ............................. unless you lot come up with a competitively priced cover that does cover behaviour, dental and alternative treatment  ;)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »
Well that's put the cat in amongst the pigeons!

I just got a quote for Lucy from Halifax pet insurance £160.92 (£13.40 month) for £6000 per year (total for all conditions in each year) £60 XS payable for each condition each year and it provides £200 Behavioural Problems cover

so a ten year claim on the xtra plan, assuming the premium remained static, which in reality it wouldn't, would cost (£13.40x12x10)+(£0x10) = £2208.00 in premiums and excess payments.

Healthypets gold cover gives me £5000 per condition for life with £50 excess (one off payment per condition) £100 excess for 3rd party claims - £6.15 monthly. over ten years the premiums would be (£6.15x12x10)+£50 = £788 that leaves a difference of only £1420 to add to the £5000 per condition before i would have paid out more than i would have under Halifax and this is further reduced to £420 when you take into account that Halifax is £6000 not £5000 cover.

I think i will have to consider them seriously when i renew Lucy's policy in April

Policy details Here

ETA they do cover 'dental treatment due to illness' as well as 'due to accident'

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »
I'm with Halifax. I pay around £25 a month for my two with a £50 excess. And it does include dental work, referals by a vet for behaviour and alternative therapies. It also includes prescription diets (as long as it's not for obesity) which is excluded by a lot of insurance policies.

I've claimed once for Reuben and they paid up very promptly with no quibble.  :D

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »
how long have you been with them Rhona? have the premiums increased by much?