Author Topic: Food to help coat?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Heidi

• Site Member
Food to help coat?
« on: August 16, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
Hi all,
I've been feeding Heidi on Royal Canin since we got her. She started off on the Medium Junior food and is now on the Medium adult food. Her temperament and energy levels are fine with it, but I'm not happy with her coat. It's not shiny and is just really dull and fluffy looking. Her skin isn't dry - it's really just her hair. Has anyone any advice on what food I could try? Or even if I can just supplement her diet with something to help her coat? I'm happy to keep her on the Royal Canin, apart from her coat problem as it really suits her otherwise but will change if needs must.

Thanks.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Food to help coat?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »
How old is she. Could it just be puppy coat, it does tend to go like this. If not you could try supplementing with a fish body oil capsule.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Heidi

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
Thanks - she's just over a year old. I thought it might be her puppy coat as the main problem area is along the top of her back, where the hair looks short and fuzzy (I hope this description makes sense!). I've been adding a dribble of olive oil to her food for the last few days, might try the fish oil capsules instead as I've some of them in the house as well.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
You could try giving her a raw egg once a week including the shell (ground up in her food if she won't eat it normally) and also maybe try giving her some fish. I give Roxy a couple of tins of sardines in spring water once a week also.  ;)
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
My cocker is just over a year and she has fuzzy bits too, its the remainder of her puppy coat, however she does have a beautiful black coat I give her 5mls of Salmon Oil in her food everyday  :blink:
I buy it online and its fab  :luv: You can get a large bottle for around £10. I give it to all 4 of mine its has other huge benefits too  :blink:
I can't remember which company we got it from but a google search will bring up a fair few
We feed all our dogs on Jameswellbeloved  :blink:

Jo

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 11:09:53 PM »
My cocker is just over a year and she has fuzzy bits too, its the remainder of her puppy coat, however she does have a beautiful black coat I give her 5mls of Salmon Oil in her food everyday  :blink:
I buy it online and its fab  :luv: You can get a large bottle for around £10. I give it to all 4 of mine its has other huge benefits too  :blink:
I can't remember which company we got it from but a google search will bring up a fair few
We feed all our dogs on Jameswellbeloved  :blink:

Jo

I use it to - Fish4Dogs Salmon Oil, keeps their coats lovely and shiny - Roxy particularly. My two are both workers, I think show coats differ quite a lot, but I'm sure it would help.

Offline Ori1

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
I give mine a fork full of pilchards in their breakfast every morning, all mine have shiny coats (and they are a mixture of breeds in my bag of all sorts!!!)

:luv:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »
I too use Salmon Oil for omega 3 and 6 for all our dogs... fab for the skin, coat, joints and all sorts of other things.  :D

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
at what age can you begin to give these salmon oil etc?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:15:01 PM »
I use kelp tablets.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:21 AM »
Tilly's coat has been rather dry and when we were in France the other week and she was at the vet's for her passport procedures the vet recommended fish oil with Omega 3 and 6.  Just 2 teaspoons a day and it's already making a difference.

We think our French vet is great btw  :D!

Sue and Tilly

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »
A raw egg once a week is enough here for our boy to keep his coat soft and shiny...

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
at what age can you begin to give these salmon oil etc?

I'm not sure  :-\   but Rosie has been having 5mls every day since she was 6 months

Jo

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:26 PM »
Florence has always been fed Royal Canin, starting like Heidi on Medium Junior and is now on RC Cocker 25, she also has 5ml of YUMEGA - click here once a day and has been complimented many times on her shiny coat.

If she does have any remnants of her puppy coat, it can be removed by using a metal tooth comb with an elastic band woven through it. This will draw out any dead hair.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
Both mine had slightly dry coats and a bit of scurf in winter when they were on kibble only - it was Burns. I now add a splash of extra virgin olive oil.. They were on salmon oil but I ran out and the olive oil is keeping their coats just as good - suspect they'll need a bit more in the winter though so I'll get some more salmon oil then.

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x