Author Topic: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??  (Read 32626 times)

Offline pcmikey

Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for a cocker spaniel pup and have the choice of two.
One is pure show and the other is part show part working(mum show,dad working)
I am not sure which one to go for.I have been told that working cocker's have more energy and require more stimulation etc.
Any advice on the pro's and cons between the two would be gratefully received.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Re: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »
I think you could find this thread answers any questions you may have! http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

Welcome to COL!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »
The fact that one is half and half doesn't bode well for the breeder. There shouldn't be any reason to mix the two really.
Have you seen the thing on the top of the puppies board about finding the right breeder?

Welcome to COL by the way, excellent choice of breed  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
Hi and welcome from me and mine!

It would be difficult to predict whether the show/worker mix would follow worker traits or other. I have a mix who looks quite show but has a high work drive and is manic when he's out, but good at home. (Mum 1/2 worker, dad was show)

But then the two show types are different as chalk and cheese too.  

I'd want to consider how the parents of each of thesepups are rather than a generalisation of the traits!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline pcmikey

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
The breeder owns both parents and has been breeding show/working cockers to get brains & beauty apparently.
We have never had a cocker before so are looking for as much advice as we can get.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
As well as considering temperament, it would be as well to consider the ethics/experience of the breeders involved.......have the dam and sire been genetically screened for PRA/FN, and health checked for other hereditary diseases?   :huh:

The working/show cross breeder sounds like they are in it for the money imo - a working dog doesn't need a thick coat/pretty looks, and a well bred show dog will have ample *brains* if they are being selectively bred - so there are no real benefits to the puppies to doing this.......and can lead to litters of pups which don't suit a typical domestic environment  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »
I have 2 show cockers that are fairly laid ( my hosehold is quiet though, no children) back but my son as a show cocker with part worker in her and she is wonderful but will keep going alot along than mine. She also will pace around alot more.
All 3 are shadows but his will not sleep all evening like mine do, she will want constant attention. But she is so gentle  :blink:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
I wouldn't be focussing on the cocker type so much as the breeders. :D Agree with Cob-web about the health testing being very important too. ;)

My cocker is mostly show, with a tiny bit working way back in his pedigree, but his brain is all worker, he can go for hours and is fairly high maintenance.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
My black Cocker Bitch is all Show type, but thinks like a working dog. She never stops when out, working the ground and she goes mad for agility. I also have a Rescue Cocker who looks show type, but who knows and he is the dopiest boy you have ever met. I also have the Black Bitches three pups who are all very different. The girls tend to take after there mum and the boy takes after his dad as in he is much calmer and more biddable. ( Dad is from well known breeder)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Cotswold Girl

• Site Member
  • The Cotswold Crazy Gang
    • Northern English Springer Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
The breeder owns both parents and has been breeding show/working cockers to get brains & beauty apparently.
We have never had a cocker before so are looking for as much advice as we can get.

Hmmmmm agree with some of the other comments here. That is not a breeder I would be considering as there is absolutely no reason to  cross these two strains ... as you will have absolutely no idea which side they are going to inherit. I have a cocker/ springer cross and he is nutts .... beautiful but absolutely nutts and as thick as two short planks and the same can happen with crossing show and working cockers .... physically I have seen some show/working crosses that look just odd.

It sounds to me that this breeder (IMHO and feel free to shoot me down in flames is more interested in the ££££ then benefiting the breed). If you want a brainier show breed dog look for a sire or dam that will complement your own show dog in terms of brains ... if you want a better looking working cocker then do the same with finding a good looking sire or dam to go with yours.

What do you want to do with this dog? What is your cocker experience? Have you ever had a working cocker? How much time do you have for this dog and it's training and mental stimulation? These are all things that need to be taken into account as well as making sure the dog is well bred and it's sire and dam have had the proper health test.

Rhyannon, Spec, Broc, Shrek, Tilly-Bob & Wellie
NESSR Rehoming Co-ordinator.
Registered Charity No: 1121569 Charity Registered In Scotland No. SC040037

Offline mac

• Site Member
  • fuse
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
hi
fuse was my first cocker and is 100% worke( prior to him i had a border collie )
fuse loves long walks and would go and go all day for his ball but equally he loves to sleep on the sofa and likes  to lie in !!!!! if its raining there is no chance he will be running around!!!!!!! his father is a field champion and his mother a similar line .....
i have never had a show cocker so cannot comment
i love cockers so much i now have a 5month old worker bitch same really loves to walk but loves her grub and blanket ...
my cockers are pets they do not work fuse used to work but has retired and they are both smashing little dogs
love from fuse and lisa and now adding little sox

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »
Hmmm....well, Chloe is my first ever dog, let alone cocker  ph34r and she's from strong working line. I had done a fair bit of research before hand, but must admit I really wasn't prepared for the bombardment that is Chloe  :005: I have absolutely no regrets, a working cocker was always what I wanted, but I think there is a big difference between the two strains from what I gather  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 10:55:07 PM »
Have never breed dogs myself - but i would look into whether they have experience of show and working cockers.

Taz is a pure show cocker, but is very energetic and clever.  In fact, he worked out how to open the stair gate on the first day we put it up.  On the second day, we put an old collar around the gate/stair banister so if he managed to unlatch it, it wouldnt swing open - it took him less than 20 minutes to work out that it was the collar stopping it opening and chew through it!!!!  When i got back from the shops he was upstairs and Kelly who had been left upstairs was downstairs.

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »
My Annie is a show type (im sure we were mislead  :005:) but she is major hard work...but having grown up with a cocker I already expected this. I agree just check lines ect and breeder, Annie is pure show but just a  >:D.......if I wasnt aware already of the breed from my beloved childhood cocker I would be very taken off guard. Show's don't necessarily mean calm as Annie reminds us every day :lol2:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
Honey i shalf show half worker - we got her through family who wanted to give breeding a go as a hobby. They only had a litter of one, and think they realised that being a hobby breeder wasnt for them, but i was still fortunate enough to have my gorgeous girl.
Alfie, we done alot of research into breeders and  the breeds ( even though cockers have been in the family for a period of time) we still needed to assess what was right for us.
Even still, we got alfie a pure worked of excellant FTCH in his pedigree, we got him as a pet. Although he is very very clever, very loopy, very energetic ( this is great for us as we are outdoor people and bless with countryside) we will be looking into joining a local gub dog club, not to work him 100% but just for scurry's and things at gun dog shows.
welcome to COL BTW
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life