Author Topic: Connection problem  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Connection problem
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »
I seem to have lost connection on my home PC :-\

I have wireless connection and tried my laptop and I can get a connection on there.  But, if I leave my laptop on and then switch on my home PC the connection goes from my laptop :huh:

I really am rubbish with this sort of thing and it's driving me mad.  I so need to get access my emails on my home PC.  Anyone know what's going on? :huh:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Connection problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
We've been having the same problem for the last week, we're on BT which we've always found reliable till now  >:(

Hope someone can come up with an idea too  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:41 PM »
We've been having the same problem for the last week, we're on BT which we've always found reliable till now  >:(

Oh, we're BT too :-\  I'm thinking it must be something I've done and I need to reset my network connections but maybe it's not :huh:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »

Oh, we're BT too :-\  I'm thinking it must be something I've done and I need to reset my network connections but maybe it's not :huh:

I've just tried going through the help screens on BT to see if there has been any network maintenance, can't find anything but will get the OH to look later too.  Seems possible that it is network if there are other suddenly having problems  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
I'm with Talk Talk which has always been great.

Yesterday and today I've been having big problems with my connection, I use a lap top and wireless.  Have rung Talk Talk and they say they can't find anything wrong at their end...  It's driving me bananas!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
There's a similar thread here

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=59001.0

I just posted a reply, don't know if it may help  :huh:

Jann

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Mine hasn't been an intermitent problem, just lost connection for the first time ever since having wireless connection (which is approx. 6 months).

I gave up on it this afternoon but have just come back to it, turned on the PC and connection is back.  Not sure what the problem has been :huh:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
Rebooting either the router or the modem or even both can fix this......im with NTL and have to a reboot of both bits several times a day lol...service is great when it works

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:01 PM »
Okay i know the problem rebooting may not fix it if not follow these instruction.
Right what happens is something called DHCP which causes this DHCP assigns a IP to a computer is turned on 9/10 it doesnt assign the same one as another computer but sometimes it does. Each computer has to have a different IP otherwise it causes conflicts like this one.
1.Right go to start.
2.Go to setting network connections.
3.Right click Wireless connection in the new window.
4.Click 'Properties'
5.Go to the 'General' tab.
6.Scroll right down untill you see 'TCP/IP settings' or just 'TCP/IP'.
7.Click it once and then click 'Properties' Directlyn below it.
8.Click use the following IP address. (This means were assigning a static IP to your computer or disabling the need or use of DHCP this should also speed up the connection speed).
9.Now open a CMD prompt to do this hold the 'windows key + R'
10.Now in there type 'ipconfig /all' scroll up a little and you should see an ipv4 address or IP address. Copy this one type it manually and the last 2/3 digits change.
11.Click subnet mask shuold automatically come up as '255.255.255.0' then for the default gateway '192.168.1.1' then for the preffered DNS go back to your CMD prompt and there should be a part called DNS servers copy the first one in and then go to the alternate DNS server and copy the 2nd DNS server.
12.Press 'Ok' and then 'Ok' again. ;-).
Hope this helps.
--
Kathys son Jamie.

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline dazla

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
Hi Mary

Your problem is likely to be quite different to the other's.

Your router is set to give ip addresses to each attached device- be they hard wired or wireless.

Sometimes they just forget to or try to give the same address to more than one device.

Often rebooting the router and possibly the pc will resolve the problem.