Author Topic: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking UPDATED  (Read 4088 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chanellie

  • Donator
  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 215
  • Gender: Female
    • Equine Market Watch Sanctuaries (UK)
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Some people get it in their heads about barking and somehow can't get over it

We can't actually see much from the front window but Molly can be loud when she sees things ( like neighbours going out ) bit she never seems to notice any nightime noises ( snoring too loudly ?? ) In the garden she never says a word which is good as a neighbour has a dog that does single woofs ( 24/7)  for no reason as far as we can tell.

My problem with her is barking on walks so far no one has complained - - the dog warden laughed at her  >:(

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Do feel for you. Barking dogs can be extremely annoying if they go on and on all day but I know our council do take a stance of 'all dogs bark and as long as barking is within reason we will not take any action'. You are clearly addressing the problem so I wouldn't worry too much and try and let what he says go over your head a bit if you can - although it's hard not to be upset by these things when you are a reasonable neighbour!

Hope you manage to find a solution soon  :-* :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline sharonmansfield

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »
Hi, I have just watched Its Me or the Dog from a few weeks ago and Victoria Stillwell does the programme, Her case was a dog that barked all of the time, totally more extreme than yours but her idea was good. She trained the dogs to a whistle so that when they barked she whistled and they got rewarded for  coming, this made them lose focus on what they were barking at. 
I bet your neighbour would moan at the whistle though!!!!!!!!!!!!! :005:
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline LouiseH

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Gender: Female
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
I bet your neighbour would moan at the whistle though!!!!!!!!!!!!! :005:

Too right  :005: :005: :005:

We seem to be doing okay - the girls just aren't allowed out in the garden unsupervised which is affecting me more than them. We just make up for it in extra long walks and one good thing is it has given me the nudge to letting them off the lead more which also seems to have calmed them down a little with all the running around.

My Mum said I should get a parrot as her neighbour puts hers out in the garden on nice days and all she can hear is squawking all day long  :005:

Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline LouiseH

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Gender: Female
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking - Little UPDATE
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »
Hi Folks

I'll try to keep this brief but yesterday I spent an hour on the phone to the Dog Welfare Officer (aka Dog Warden  ph34r) and she really opened my eyes to my barking problem so thought I would share her thoughts.

Her brief diagnosis was based around the fact that due to my work as a Childminder the dogs are separated from me for the majority of the time between 8-6pm apart from when I pop in and out of the kitchen. She seemed to think that Cleo's barking was because she feels the need to warn off predators while the "top dog - aka ME" is in another part of the house. She has suggested more off lead exercise will result in happy calm dogs so we'll have to wait and see. I have restricted their access to the garden at busy times when I cannot be there to bring them straight in i.e. when I am feeding the baby etc but as for the play barking she said there is nothing I can do about it because it's instinctive behaviour  :angel:

She said it sounds as though I have a very clever dog who's brain is too big for her body  :lol2: and that I need to try and integrate them back into family life more during the evenings and weekends to try and improve our relationship which should make her feel more protected  ph34r

The main eye opener was that she said I had to see it from her point of view and that living within 6 foot high fences she couldn't see anything to help her decide what was a threat, and therefore she barks at any little noise. This made sense as when the neighbours were trimming their hedge she could see the man on ladder and never barked once as if she was thinking "Oh it's only him cutting the hedge - no burglars!".

Although it all makes sense I'm not sure I have an effective solution......but will work on the exercise and give her some finding games to do in the field to use up some energy.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline sharonmansfield

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: So upset - neighbour problems and alarm barking UPDATED
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »
Hi Louise, sounds like your conversation was very rewarding and has given you some ideas to work with. You sound more positive now anyway so good luck.
best wishes Sharon
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!