Author Topic: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated  (Read 26326 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
The crate seems a good idea, but I also wondered if you knew someone with an estate or hatchback with a dog guard so until she has the all clear from the vet, the harness isn't an issue.

Offline ruby ruby doo

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 383
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
crate in the car for me every time..she has her own space and can freak out with pre walk excitement without causing hell to attatch her!!good luck! JO  >:( :D
jo & ruby =)

Offline Karma

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5330
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

If you need to persevere with the harness, I would go right back to basics.... so get the harness out, if she doesn't react - click-treat.  Gradually get it closer to her, and again click-treat any lack of reaction.  Once she will sit calmly with her focus on you with the harness on the floor beside her, begin to work towards getting her to wear it... again take very very tiny baby steps...  (Obviously, if this conflicts totally with the advice of your behaviourist, then ignore me... I'm not an expert and I haven't seen Lily!)

It could be that her tooth was knocked at some point putting the harness on, so she may associate the harness with an increase in the pain in her mouth and while the pain may be gone, the association will still be there...

As others have said, finding a different way to transport her may be the better option (at least in the short term!).

Glad to hear things are going so well generally!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
Can you use a crate in the car instead of a harness or attach her lead to the inside of the car another way? You get leads which have a seatbelt thingy at the end which could greatly help you! Is it the ancol car harness you use with the flappy seatbelt part and metal halfloop at the end?

That's what I was going to suggest - a crate might be the answer or a dog guard in the back of the car.  ;)

I agree that long-term it would be a good idea to get her used to the harness  :-\

So glad she seems to be almost back to her happy self again though  :D  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline mum2milly

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1241
  • Gender: Female
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
I have just sat and read through your entire thread and whilst I don't have any advice for you I just wanted to say we are thinking about you.  Lily is very lucky to have such a caring mum and dad and I wish you every success working things through with your vet and behaviourist.

Ditto here  :luv:

Just caught up with your latest updates & pics. Wishing you the best of luck in your journey with Lily.
She's a lucky girl to have such dedicated parents.  :luv:

Love Jo & Milly xx

Offline sharonmansfield

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
So so happy to hear that she is getting better and making good progress, I am really pleased for you all.

Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Gordo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 27
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions on our car harness problem.  :blink:

Have thought about having her crate in the back -- would have to load her in and then put it in the car, but not sure our car is big enough.  Will have to try this out.  Have also thought about getting a dog guard, but I know we won't be able to pick her up to get her in the car atm.

The harness is the ancol one, with the flappy seatbelt part and metal hoop -- we put it on in the house when we can, but have to put it on in the car when we're out for a walk.

Have e-mailed behaviourist and will see what he comes back with.

SO glad it's this time this week -- when I think back to what was happening last week, I never thought we'd be where we are now!! 

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »
 Have also thought about getting a dog guard, but I know we won't be able to pick her up to get her in the car atm. 

You can buy ramps for this, I'm sure Argos sell them? I'm so glad to hear how she's been improving :luv:

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline Ninasmum

  • Limited Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6476
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »
Just an idea that may help for a short term fix with getting Lily in the car,  there is a dog training lead that has several 'D' rings and clips either end, so basically it can be adjusted to a short or long lead and also used for clipping the dog onto a fixture in a car.  I have some of these leads and they are brilliant because they are so adaptable.  ;)  They are available from k9capers.com and are called Ferplast Nylon Dog Training Lead 120cm - 200cm & 2.5 cm width, cost £9.13.

I wish you good luck with Lily and really hope she makes good progress.  It sounds positive already.  :D


Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 94
  • Gender: Female
    • K925 Pet Services
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »
Hi Gordo, have pm'd you re car... Shout if doesn't come through!

Jo

Offline PennyB

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13844
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »

If you need to persevere with the harness, I would go right back to basics.... so get the harness out, if she doesn't react - click-treat.  Gradually get it closer to her, and again click-treat any lack of reaction.  Once she will sit calmly with her focus on you with the harness on the floor beside her, begin to work towards getting her to wear it... again take very very tiny baby steps...  (Obviously, if this conflicts totally with the advice of your behaviourist, then ignore me... I'm not an expert and I haven't seen Lily!)


I had a nightmare cocker foster pup who would bite my hands to shreds putting the harness on + I also realised it took longer as we both got stressed - I then did what karma did - gave him a large treat/biscuit for sitting nicely then put one bit of harness on, got him to sit again, treated, put another bit on etc. - it was done faster, neither of us were stressed and I didn't need to find the bandaid afterwards
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pudding

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2839
  • Gender: Female
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »
can you not get a smaller crate for the car,
i have one in my car he can stand up in it, turn around and lay down.
it would not be big enough to use indoors, but it is plenty big enough for the car,
if you needed a ramp you could make one from some wood just to get you out of trouble

the other thing my Mum dose with her dogs is that they sit in the front foot well,
with the lead tied to the door Handel, this seams to work fine, as they only ever go in the car to go to the vets.

Offline Helen

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 20025
  • Gender: Female
    • helen noakes jewellery
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
you can get soft crates that aren't very big  :D
helen & jarvis x


Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
you can get soft crates that aren't very big  :D
Good idea I bought the small size when I was going to collect a rescue dog as it fitted in the boot, with Rufus. It was too small to use  generally for him but would be fine in the car. As Rufus travels in the boot with a dog guard I swapped it for medium when I didn't get the dog. They were about £39 at PAH. I will use it if we go away as it folds flat.

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
I have a soft crate that I don't use, pm me if you're interested.....its pretty much brand new. Not sure of the measurements, but will check.


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye