Author Topic: Please help me i'm so embarrassed  (Read 6134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ollie1

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Gender: Female
  • look at me !
Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »
Please can anyone help me I've been thinking for months now that Ollie's mouth smelt and I've been asking people on cockersonline for dental hygiene help only to find out today Ollie's eatting s**t oh yes doggie Pooh ! well i was so upset and disgusted also embarrassed as my builders saw him do it . I could of crawled up my own bum i shouted at him and gave him a light tap on the bum ... but how on earth do i stop this and why would he want to eat it anyway ?
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline fifer

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Female
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
Coprophagia as it is called is more prevalent in dogs fed a commercial (ie extruded) complete kibble.  Most of these diets have flavour enhancers added to tempt the dog to eat them these enhancers don't not change much when they exit the other "end".  I'm afraid the dog is tempted to re-eat because it smells/tastes nice. :shades:  so there's no point in tapping his butt to tell him not to it just smells sooooooooooo tempting!  :005:
Spaniels In Need

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
Coprophagia (poo eating) is a fairly common dog behaviour even though it is repugnant to us. Smacking him isn't the way to go but you probably know that already! If you catch him in the act or about to do it a firm 'ah ah!' or 'no!' and then distracting him with a tasty treat or toy should do the trick until you can get the poo picked up. How old is Ollie? Some dogs go through a poo eating phase when they're young and then grow out of it but in some hardcore cases it can be a hard habit to break. Is it his own poo he's eating or other dogs'? The easy solution is to make it so that there is no poo for him to eat by picking it up as soon as he does it or as soon as your other dog(s) do it if you have any others. Adding pineapple (tinned is fine) to the dog's food (and/or to the other household dogs' food) can be a deterrent as it's supposed to make the poo taste unappealing to them and I've heard raw grated courgette can do the same job.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »
I really wouldnt worry Jack did this until he was about one. We used to call him poo breath  ph34r

It wont harm them so try to see the funny side and not make a big deal out of it  ;)

Offline ollie1

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Gender: Female
  • look at me !
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »
Ollie is 14 months old we have another dog a girl 3 years old she has never done this ! I would like to add i have never raised a finger to any of my dogs but i was so disgusted i just didn't know what to do it was just a tap nothing ott . I clean the poo up straight away normally but they were in the garden and i was outside talking to the builders when it happened ! all of our drains have collapsed !!!!! BIG JOB . The problem is if I'm here now i know he does it i can clean it up or stop him but what happens when the care workers who come to look after my grandmother put them both outside he will just do it again wont he  >:D and to answer the question it was his poo i think and yes both dogs get fed on dry food
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
I really dont understand why your so worked up about it  :huh:

It may be disgusting to you but to him its just leftovers ph34r

They put worse in their mouths


Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:41:32 PM »
The problem is if I'm here now i know he does it i can clean it up or stop him but what happens when the care workers who come to look after my grandmother put them both outside he will just do it again wont he  >:D

You can try the pineapple or courgette as suggested. He may well grow out of it as 14 months is still pretty young.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *Theresa*

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4024
  • Gender: Female
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
I really dont understand why your so worked up about it  :huh:

Oooh see now I do...I think that would make me sick...try the pineapple in both your dogs food and see if that stops him doing it if you are not there.

My two have quite a routine when it comes to pooing though so we rarely get caught out with them doing it in the garden as they always do it on there walks  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)


Offline ollie1

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Gender: Female
  • look at me !
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
I'm disgusted because he licks me and my grandmother on our faces all day long he loves us soooo much and then he sleeps in my bed at night ! no boyfriends here it just makes me sick thats all to think about him eating poo and licking my face straight after !
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline ollie1

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Gender: Female
  • look at me !
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
ollie is weird he wont poo until he gets home he would hold it for hours until we get home before he would do it on a walk :huh:
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
Ahhh I see

I dont let any of my dogs lick me, pretty much because as you said I see what goes in their mouths  

Offline cindere528

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1325
  • Gender: Female
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
Nelly used to eat her own poo and I found that giving her pineapple stopped her. Unfortunately, Dillon had an allergy to pineapple & it made him sick. Since Nelly stopped eating her own poo because it tasted of pineapple, she then started to eat Dillon's poo because he hadn't had pineapple. The only solution was to be vigilant and always pick it up as soon as one of them had done it.

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
I really dont understand why your so worked up about it  :huh:

It may be disgusting to you but to him its just leftovers ph34r

They put worse in their mouths

I agree - I am surprised you have only just realised that he is doing it though.  :005:  I was shocked when I first found Coco did this - it is disgusting but she thought it was yum :020:  Most dogs seem to do it sometimes.  Coco has grown out of eating her own but will still snaffle the odd cat poo and horse and rabbit are delicacies as far as she's concerned.  ::)  :005:

If I caught her doing it I used to say a firm "No" and offer her a tasty treat eg a better quality bit of poo (joke!  ph34r ) and eventually she got the idea.  ;)  It is just one of those revolting things about dogs that no one warns you about and is not mentioned in many of the books  ::)  You just have to see the funny side of it and be careful when you have a cocker snog.  :005:  I am not keen on being licked by dogs anyway and knowing what I do about what else Coco licks I don't see that changing  :shades: :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline cazza

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7245
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
Jock used to do it all the time - I didn't bother with pineapple or any other weird and wonderful suggestion - I just picked up as soon as I could after they had been

I think Braan learnt the habit off Jock tho  >:D

now as for being disgusted - do you feel the same when he eats sheep / cow / horse / fox / rabbit droppings etc as to them it's all the same weather it's come out of them or another animal 

Offline speedyjaney

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1329
  • Gender: Female
Re: Please help me i'm so embarrassed
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
Hmmmm I htink all dogs have done this at some pont.....Jessie has just started again at aged 5 nearly 6. This is beacuse she is on steroids/chemo tho and is hungry and as I am a cruel mum and dont pander to her begging she has decided to scoff whatever she finds.....

We clear up straight away but Jessie has worked out it tastes quite nice when warm and fresh so we have to be very very quick.....If she happens to be quicker then we give her a biccie to chew and scowl at her.....then we go back to normal lol

She is a licky licky dog so unfortunately she does lick us.....we stop her if its smelly  :lol2: :005: