Author Topic: Puppies eating poo!!!!  (Read 1199 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline cocker1

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Puppies eating poo!!!!
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »
My two cocker puppies are constantly eating poo!!  We have to martial them when they go out all the time, but sometimes, it's not possible, and they eat the lot!  They know it's wrong though and won't go near it if we're around. A regards which poo they eat, they don't mind, either their own or each others will do.  I've tried everything from tobasco sauce and curry sauce on the poo, to deter them, as well as pineapple chunks and garlic in their food - but all to no avail!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The puppies are 10 month old girls by the way.


Offline Pudding

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2839
  • Gender: Female
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »
The only thing you can do is to go with them when they go out to do a poo
and pick it up, then they can not eat it

Offline I love cockers

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »
What do you feed them on generally? I have heard that dogs can eat poo as they are deficient in certain minerals or could be that the additives in the food you are giving them which makes the food smell nice for them to eat in the first place is still making their poo smell nice to them.

You need to be careful that they are not getting too much attention from you if you see them eating poo as it could become a game for them and will encourage them to eat it.  Definitely pick it up in your garden as soon as they do a poo.

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
Could you take them out in the garden at different times for toiletting, so that you can see where one does it and pick it up before the other is let out. With Katie I took her out on the lead for a while and when she performed I took her attention away from it with a biscuit. (it worked most times - but not all  :-\ )

Now she will leave her own but she will still eat Smudge's given half no, a quarter of a chance, little ratbag.  ph34r,

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
My puppy won't eat his own or other dogs' poo - but i have a nightmare with him eating cat poo - I pick his up in the garden as soon as he's done it, but try following three cats around to pick up their poo! Plus they bury it - he digs it up! Horrid habit but one i'm not sure how to stop either! good luck!  :005:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline CraftySam

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2331
  • Gender: Female
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
I have tried and failed to stop this age old problem.  ::)

You can try some tablets that you can get online and from the vets (often cheaper online!). The are called Deter. I've just tried to find some online but they seem to be out of stock everywhere with some sites saying discontinued.  :-\  Having said all of that I tried them and they didn't work either.  ::)

It's not always about being fed commercial food, two of mine continued to do it whilst being fed BARF.  ::)

I would really try whilst they are so young changing their habits with training before it becomes totally ingrained.

Some times dogs are just digusting!  :P
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline cocker1

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
Thank you for all your advice.  I do go out with the puppies and pick up their poo as soon as they've done it, but now and again they catch me off guard!  And it's when I'm not around that they are eating it.  The worst time is the evening after dark, because our back garden is pitch black and you can't see whether they've been or not.  I'd go out with a torch, but our garden backs onto people's bedrooms, so it's a no go!  I only know that they've eaten the poo in the morning when I find the remnants.  We've tried walking them last thing at night, but they won't poo on the lead and there isn't anywhere else appropriate we can take them.

I am praying they grow out of it, because their breath smells something terrible!  Any more advice is always welcome, and thank you all.


Offline Cob-Web

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10276
  • Gender: Female
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
I'd go out with a torch, but our garden backs onto people's bedrooms, so it's a no go! 

Goodness, I'm not so considerate!  We installed a floodlight on a sensor in our back garden - it comes on when the dogs/we go out, and stays on for a few minutes - imo, it's my garden and I've every right to illuminate it if I wish  ;)  (It was also recommended by the local Crime Prevention Officer, too  ;))

I don't think your neighbours will complain about a torch in the garden, will they?  As your two pups grow up, they are likely to playfight and romp in the garden which will undoubtedly affect your neighbours far more than torchlight will  ;)  The best piece of advice I have ever been given when it comes to dog training is consistency; it will take a lot longer to train your pups if the behaviour sometimes brings rewards  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club


Offline Pudding

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2839
  • Gender: Female
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
your right it is there breath that is the worst of it,
as they come up to you for coker kisses and the smell

What i do is if he has been out in the garden and i have misted one and he gets to it before me
then when he come in i have a look at his mouth and teeth, if there is any sign of poo or poo smell
he has to have his teeth cleaned   :005:

Offline black taz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2366
Re: Puppies eating poo!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
Both mine did this as puppies - Kelly was cat poo, Taz was his own.  I tried numerous stuff with Taz including feeding him pineapple, sprinkling tobasco on it as soon as he did it (he loved that) in the end they both just grew out of it.  However, occasionally if Taz poos  on a pavement and it is a bit soft, if there is a bit left on the floor after i have tried to pick it up he will lick it, which i dont worry about because it means that a child wont finish up with the little bit on his shoe!

If you have a good "leave it" command you could try using that.  The problem is if you keep picking it up immediately they dont learn to leave it when you are not there.  Good luck anyway.

Alternatively when you go out with them as soon as they have finished, called them over for a game or a treat.