Author Topic: Recall treats - I think she is training me!  (Read 1760 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LizH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Gender: Female
Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
Pebble's recall is generally good (not perfect  :shades:).

She is very treat focussed and always gets a treat plus praise when she comes back when I have called/whistled her.

However often when we are out she comes back to me of her own accord - which I like as it keeps her reasonably close - and of course she then expects a treat (hence my 'training me' comment in title!  :shades:)

My question is should I only treat her when I have called her to return
Treat her with praise only when she comes back of her own accord
Always treat her regardless of whether I have called her or not

Any thoughts or comments welcomed

Thanks

Liz
Liz and Pebble x


Offline *Theresa*

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4024
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
Me personally I would treat if Glen came back to me of his own accord as I would rather he came back more often than his continual ignoring my existence. However I am not a trainer and that is probably not right  ph34r
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)


Offline Linz13

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2789
  • Gender: Female
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
Maddi does this, and I do treat her - but she has me trained that everytime I say Good Girl, I go into my pocket and give her a treat   :lol2:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline LizH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
Maddi does this, and I do treat her - but she has me trained that everytime I say Good Girl, I go into my pocket and give her a treat   :lol2:

Yes - I'm well trained in this area too  :005:  ph34r
Liz and Pebble x


Offline emderpenguin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 386
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
I tend to take the approach of 'it depends how good your dog's recall is as to if you treat this behaviour'

When we had recall problems with kye it was EVERY time he came back, even if he wasn't called. Pepper had the same while she was young. Now they have (had) a fairly reliable recall (Pepper's has trailed off a bit, so we're re learning this - teen stage) I don't treat anywhere near as much. BUT I do still treat occasionally for uncalled for recalls, just to keep them guessing.

What I do for the recalls though, particually the uncalled ones, is make them sit and let me touch their collar before giving the reward. Then send them on their way.

TBH mine are so ball obsessed I use the ball as their reward more than treats

Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:44:49 PM »
Most people will laugh at me responding to this thread, but actually, until a hunt starts, Rufus's recall is quite good. Agility helps a lot. All three trainers I have used (before the gun dog Cruella who doesn't use them) said to be sparing with treats. I do use treats if I am doing specific training, to reward for getting it right but was told that the fuss and praise should be enough once they know what behaviour is expected of them. I will be interested to read what the experts say.

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
Mine tend to check in with me like this all the time on walks, sometimes I just acknowledge them with a 'good boy/girl, go on' (which is their release command) as being acknowledged and released again is reward enough in itself for them and sometimes I'll ask them to do something like heel for a minute or so or I'll send them out in a specific direction. Personally I wouldn't give her food for coming back as she's only coming back for the food, as you say, she's expecting it, she's not coming back to check in with you or to see if there is anything else you want her to do but it depends on how you see these things I suppose, I know for a lot of folk the main thing is that the dog comes back regardless of their motivation.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline LizH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
...as she's only coming back for the food, as you say, she's expecting it, she's not coming back to check in with you or to see if there is anything else you want her to do but it depends on how you see these things I suppose, I know for a lot of folk the main thing is that the dog comes back regardless of their motivation.

This is exactly what I was thinking - I do want her to check in, not just come back for a treat .... but I don't want her to stop coming back
Liz and Pebble x


Offline Birdie Wife

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »
I give Cari a "good girl, get on" if she comes back by herself - but sometimes she really does try to mug me for treats by jumping at my pockets  ph34r  then she gets an "ah ah, get on"... but I call her back once she's calmed down and give her a treat... never had a cocker before, they're really quite bright!

Offline Cob-Web

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10276
  • Gender: Female
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
it depends on how you see these things I suppose, I know for a lot of folk the main thing is that the dog comes back regardless of their motivation.



Hell, yeah - having had so much trouble with Molo's recall as a young dog, I don't care WHY he comes back, I'm just grateful that he does  :lol2:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club


Offline black taz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2366
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
I'm afraid I cheat - if i see Taz coming back to me when i haven't called him, I shout "come" and then still reward - i find it reinforces the recall.  I don't use food everytime, sometime i use a ball, or give him a drink (for some reason he considers this a treat!)

Offline LizH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Gender: Female
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
Hell, yeah - having had so much trouble with Molo's recall as a young dog, I don't care WHY he comes back, I'm just grateful that he does  :lol2:

I feel a little like this and definitely didn't want to put her off coming back.

Over the last few walks I have started praising her and asking her to walk to heel for a moment as per Nicola's suggestion when she checks in. I occasionally treat her just to keep her guessing.

I'm afraid I cheat - if i see Taz coming back to me when i haven't called him, I shout "come" and then still reward - i find it reinforces the recall. 

That's a really good tip and I have started doing this too.


Thanks guys  ;)
Liz and Pebble x


Offline Top Barks

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5234
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Recall treats - I think she is training me!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
My dogs get something from me every time they check in! to start with it may be a real high value food item, or a game of ball or something, sometime just a what a good lad and a fuss.
I would start with whatever your dog likes the most and use that most of the time.
keep your dog with you for a few steps as well before releasing.
Use the environment to provide reinforcement, if you dog like  to sniff release them and tell them to go sniff.
Rewards don't always need to be treats however if your dog is treat motivated it makes sense to use them.
I like to do at least one recall on a walk where I feed or play or do something with my dog for at least thirty seconds which if you attempt you will realise is a lot longer than most people's idea of rewarding the dog.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)
 
Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk